United Allowing Free Changes to Flights Through UK Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The horrific attack in Manchester on Monday has sparked United Kingdom security to be on high alert. In the wake of the attack, the UK government raised the threat level to critical — meaning that “an attack is expected imminently.” Because of this threat, London tourist attractions have shuttered and security across the UK’s cities and airports is especially vigilant.
If you’ve got a flight from, to or through the UK, you might be wondering what impact the increased security will have on your travels. Good news if you’re flying United Airlines: you can change your flight dates or avoid the UK altogether.
This week, United released a travel waiver for flights to/from/through five UK airports: Birmingham, England (BHX); Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI); Glasgow, Scotland (GLA); London Heathrow, England (LHR) and Manchester, England (MAN) for flights through June 2.
If you work with United to rebook on alternative flights departing between May 24-June 30, 2017, the airline will waive any change fees normally charged and no fare difference will be collected. However, you do have to rebook in the same cabin (economy, Polaris business, Polaris first) and travel has to be between the same cities as originally ticketed.
If you delay your trip until after June 30, 2017 or want to change the departure/destination city, the change fee will be waived but you’ll have to pay any difference in fare. However, you still have to travel within one year of the issuance of the original ticket.
What does this mean for travelers? In short: free changes. Say you had to book Washington, D.C. (IAD) through London (LHR) to Frankfurt (FRA) as it was the cheapest option at the time. Now, you can use this travel waiver to get on the IAD-FRA nonstop instead.
You can even change your travel date to a more optimal date. There won’t be any charges to do so as long as you rebook in the same class of service and travel by June 30.
However, if you wanted to rebook your IAD-LHR-FRA to IAD-MAD (Madrid) instead, you’d have to pay the fare difference if that itinerary currently costs more. Change fees will be waived though.
We reached out to American Airlines and Delta to see if these airlines would also be releasing travel waivers for travel to/from/through the UK. At this time, American Airlines is depending on British Airways to make any decisions, due to their joint-venture partnership on flights across the Atlantic.
A Delta spokesperson responded to say that the airline “will work with customers who have concerns on a case-by-case basis. As always, we encourage customers to call us and discuss any concerns they might have about upcoming travel at 1-800-221-1212.”
Featured image courtesy of Mike Kemp/Contributor via Getty Images
Are you going to avoid or delay UK travel plans due to recent attacks?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.