One Tweet Leads to a Free United Flight to Get… Chicken Nuggets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As you may have heard, 16-year-old Carter Wilkerson went on a mission in early April to get free chicken nuggets for a year from Wendy’s. The fast food chain said that Wilkerson, who’s from Reno, Nevada, would need to get 18 million retweets in order to get the free “nuggs” for a year.
HELP ME PLEASE. A MAN NEEDS HIS NUGGS pic.twitter.com/4SrfHmEMo3
— Carter Wilkerson (@carterjwm) April 6, 2017
While Wilkerson was on his journey to get those free nuggs, United made him a special offer, too: a free flight to any Wendy’s in the world. The only condition being that he get the 18 million RTs and that it must be to a city United serves.
— United (@united) April 8, 2017
What Wilkerson, Wendy’s and United probably didn’t expect was that his tweet would become the most retweeted of all time. In fact, his tweet was retweeted more than 3.5 million times, breaking the former record of 3,430,249, set by Ellen DeGeneres’ selfie from the Oscars.
Even though Wilkerson didn’t reach the 18 million RT threshold, Wendy’s decided to honor its offer of a year of free nuggs. So, United also hopped on board and is honoring its offer to Wilkerson so he can visit a restaurant in a destination of his choosing.
— United (@united) May 10, 2017
Some international possibilities for Wilkerson where United’s destinations and Wendy’s locations cross paths? Guam (GUM), Aruba (AUA), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey, Mexico (MTY), Tokyo (HND and NRT), Auckland (AKL), Manila (MNL), Nassau (NAS), Santiago (SCL) and more.
Featured image courtesy of Richard Levine via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.