One Tweet Leads to a Free United Flight to Get… Chicken Nuggets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amid all the bad news coming from the airline industry — particularly United — it’s a breath of fresh air to see something positive coming from a carrier.
As you may have heard, 16-year-old Carter Wilkerson went on a mission in early April to get free chicken nuggets for a year from Wendy’s. The fast food chain said that Wilkerson, who’s from Reno, Nevada, would need to get 18 million retweets in order to get the free “nuggs” for a year.
HELP ME PLEASE. A MAN NEEDS HIS NUGGS pic.twitter.com/4SrfHmEMo3
— Carter Wilkerson (@carterjwm) April 6, 2017
While Wilkerson was on his journey to get those free nuggs, United made him a special offer, too: a free flight to any Wendy’s in the world. The only condition being that he get the 18 million RTs and that it must be to a city United serves.
— United (@united) April 8, 2017
What Wilkerson, Wendy’s and United probably didn’t expect was that his tweet would become the most retweeted of all time. In fact, his tweet was retweeted more than 3.5 million times, breaking the former record of 3,430,249, set by Ellen DeGeneres’ selfie from the Oscars.
Even though Wilkerson didn’t reach the 18 million RT threshold, Wendy’s decided to honor its offer of a year of free nuggs. So, United also hopped on board and is honoring its offer to Wilkerson so he can visit a restaurant in a destination of his choosing.
— United (@united) May 10, 2017
Some international possibilities for Wilkerson where United’s destinations and Wendy’s locations cross paths? Guam (GUM), Aruba (AUA), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey, Mexico (MTY), Tokyo (HND and NRT), Auckland (AKL), Manila (MNL), Nassau (NAS), Santiago (SCL) and more.
Featured image courtesy of Richard Levine via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees