Uber Will Return to the Hamptons This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Say what you want about Uber and its business tactics, it can be extremely convenient when you’re in towns with awful taxi systems (I’m looking at you Miami). Beyond convenience, I also firmly believe that the proliferation of ride sharing apps has been positive on the whole by saving lives — making it easy for even the drunkest person to click a few buttons and get a safe ride home. In high school I was hit by a drunk driver (I was luckily okay, but the other four cars in the wreck were not so fortunate), so drunk driving is something close to my heart.
When local politicians in the Hamptons banned Uber two years ago I groaned not only out of inconvenience (there are few taxi companies, they’re incredibly expensive and I once was told a taxi would arrive in 15 minutes to 2 hours and I would have to wait at the restaurant and not call back or else they’d cancel my ride). After Uber was banned in a huge swath of the Hamptons, people got back into their cars because they didn’t have more reliable options.
Thankfully that’s all changing this summer with the NY state legislature taking away the ability of local municipalities to regulate Uber and regulating it on a statewide level. The new rule will not go into effect until June 29 at the earliest.
This is great news for anyone visiting the Hamptons this summer — especially for those who want to experience the #1 restaurant in the world’s new outpost, 11 Madison Park’s EMP Summer House. EMP Summer House is only accessible to American Express cardholders, meaning you’ll need to use your AMEX card to make a reservation and pay.
Also, if you’re in NYC the best way to get to Hamptons is on Blade. Also, the company is now offering boat rides from Sag Harbor to the Shelter Islands from $95 one-way.
If you’re interested in trying out BLADE for yourself, click here and enter referral code THEPOINTSGUY (case sensitive). You’ll earn $100 in credit (which is applied in $50 increments) to use towards BLADE flights.
If you don’t yet have an Uber account, you can sign up here to get $5 off your first four rides from TPG.
Featured image courtesy of Carl Court via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees