Limited Time: New United Buy Miles Promotion Offers Up to a 67% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here.
Earning airline miles using the traditional method (actually flying) is just one option for growing your account balance. While it’s increasingly harder to earn miles from flying, airlines make it relatively easy to accrue miles without flying — whether through top credit card offers or by utilizing shopping portals and dining rewards programs. If these methods leave you short of your travel goals, you can also purchase miles directly from an airline.
United just launched a new buy miles bonus, but you’re going to have to hurry if you’re interested. Now through June 2, you can purchase United MileagePlus miles with up to a 67% bonus. The regular price for buying United miles is 3.76 cents per mile ($35 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax). But, with the 67% bonus, this promotion will drop the price down to 2.26 cents per mile.
As United will sometimes do targeted promotions, we checked around the office to see what offers everyone got. We all have the same offer:
- Buy 5,000-14,000 miles (20% bonus) at 3.14 cents per mile
- Buy 15,000-29,000 miles (40% bonus) at 2.69 cents per mile
- Buy 30,000-90,000 miles (67% bonus) at 2.26 cents per mile
Is It Worth It?
In the latest valuations, TPG pegs United miles at 1.5 cents each. While you can get better valuations than this for certain redemptions, it’s hard to justify buying miles at 2.26 cents per point. You’re limited to buying just 150,000 miles per year, and bonus miles count toward this maximum.
United has reliably run more-generous promotions, including 100% bonus promos. If you max out the purchase on this sub-par promotion, you won’t be able to take advantage of better opportunities for the rest of the year.
So, I’d recommend passing this time around unless you needed a small amount of miles to top off your account for a redemption or if you’re desperate for United miles and have a high-value award in the works. If you have Chase Ultimate Rewards, transferring UR points to United is a better option — especially if you need the miles right away.
If you’re planning to utilize this promotion, here’s how to do so:
- Visit United’s Buy Miles page.
- Click on Buy Personal Miles.
- Enter your United MileagePlus account number and last name.
- Select the number of miles you want to buy and fill in the required information to finalize your purchase.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing United miles apply to this promotion, including the following:
- You must purchase at least 2,000 miles. Miles may be purchased in increments of 1,000 miles.
- Members can only purchase 150,000 miles per account per calendar year, and bonus miles count towards the 150,000 mile annual limit.
- Miles may take up to 48 hours to post to your account.
- Purchased or gifted miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards on the first $50,000 per year; then 1x thereafter or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5% cash back would be the most rewarding choice.
Are you going to buy miles during this promotion?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.