The Hotel California, Such a Lovely Place… To Get Sued
In today’s dose of weird travel news, The Eagles are suing a hotel in Todos Santos, Mexico, named Hotel California after the band’s massive 1977 hit, accusing the owners of illegally affiliating it with the famous song. The iconic American rock band, who filed a suit in a US district court in Los Angeles earlier this month, claims that the hotel is tricking guests into thinking it’s associated with the band and its signature song to help promote the property and sell merchandise. Now, they’re requesting an injunction to stop the hotel from using the name or implying a connection to the band, as well as seeking related profits and damages.
While a multi-million dollar rock band suing a small hotel because of a song name isn’t the most rock n’ roll move we’ve ever heard of, it does seem the hotel may be trying to reap the rewards of the hit song. The official website of the Baja Sur property currently reads: “Although the present owners of the hotel do not have any affiliation with The Eagles, nor do they promote any association, many visitors are mesmerized by the ‘coincidences’ between the lyrics of the hit song and the physicality of the hotel and its surroundings.” Hopefully the two parties can settle their differences, or there will no longer be plenty of room at the Hotel California.
H/T: BBC News
Featured image courtesy of Hotel California’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.