Southwest Pilot Surprises His One Millionth Passenger (Video)
It’s about time there’s some good news coming from a US airline. The past couple of weeks, we’ve seen numerous incidents — from a passenger being dragged off a plane, to an entire family being kicked off a flight and a pilot slapping a woman. But this story will warm your heart.
This week, Captain John Ritchie’s voice came over the loudspeaker on Southwest Flight 750 from Denver (DEN) to Pittsburgh (PIT). In the announcement, Ritchie explained that after retiring from the US Air Force, he became a pilot at Southwest Airlines — a position he’s held for the past 22 years. Through his career, Ritchie kept track of how many passengers he transported in Southwest’s metal.
One of the passengers on Flight 750 happened to be the one millionth traveler that Ritchie has transported. He was able to track down the exact passenger and, in honor of the occasion, Ritchie gave the passenger a bottle of Champagne. But he didn’t stop there either. He was able to track down how much the passenger paid for her ticket and he gave her an envelope of cash containing the exact amount that she paid for her ticket.
You can watch the heartwarming announcement, captured by a flight attendant, below:
It’s great to see something nice on a plane for a change. Last year, we saw a similar feel-good story when a Qantas pilot proposed to his girlfriend mid-flight on the A380 flight from Melbourne (MEL) to Los Angeles (LAX). And, of course, there are always the pilots that opt to use humor on their flights.
Congratulations to Captain Ritchie on his achievement!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.