Southwest Pilot Surprises His One Millionth Passenger (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s about time there’s some good news coming from a US airline. The past couple of weeks, we’ve seen numerous incidents — from a passenger being dragged off a plane, to an entire family being kicked off a flight and a pilot slapping a woman. But this story will warm your heart.
This week, Captain John Ritchie’s voice came over the loudspeaker on Southwest Flight 750 from Denver (DEN) to Pittsburgh (PIT). In the announcement, Ritchie explained that after retiring from the US Air Force, he became a pilot at Southwest Airlines — a position he’s held for the past 22 years. Through his career, Ritchie kept track of how many passengers he transported in Southwest’s metal.
One of the passengers on Flight 750 happened to be the one millionth traveler that Ritchie has transported. He was able to track down the exact passenger and, in honor of the occasion, Ritchie gave the passenger a bottle of Champagne. But he didn’t stop there either. He was able to track down how much the passenger paid for her ticket and he gave her an envelope of cash containing the exact amount that she paid for her ticket.
You can watch the heartwarming announcement, captured by a flight attendant, below:
It’s great to see something nice on a plane for a change. Last year, we saw a similar feel-good story when a Qantas pilot proposed to his girlfriend mid-flight on the A380 flight from Melbourne (MEL) to Los Angeles (LAX). And, of course, there are always the pilots that opt to use humor on their flights.
Congratulations to Captain Ritchie on his achievement!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees