Southwest Pilot Surprises His One Millionth Passenger (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s about time there’s some good news coming from a US airline. The past couple of weeks, we’ve seen numerous incidents — from a passenger being dragged off a plane, to an entire family being kicked off a flight and a pilot slapping a woman. But this story will warm your heart.
This week, Captain John Ritchie’s voice came over the loudspeaker on Southwest Flight 750 from Denver (DEN) to Pittsburgh (PIT). In the announcement, Ritchie explained that after retiring from the US Air Force, he became a pilot at Southwest Airlines — a position he’s held for the past 22 years. Through his career, Ritchie kept track of how many passengers he transported in Southwest’s metal.
One of the passengers on Flight 750 happened to be the one millionth traveler that Ritchie has transported. He was able to track down the exact passenger and, in honor of the occasion, Ritchie gave the passenger a bottle of Champagne. But he didn’t stop there either. He was able to track down how much the passenger paid for her ticket and he gave her an envelope of cash containing the exact amount that she paid for her ticket.
You can watch the heartwarming announcement, captured by a flight attendant, below:
It’s great to see something nice on a plane for a change. Last year, we saw a similar feel-good story when a Qantas pilot proposed to his girlfriend mid-flight on the A380 flight from Melbourne (MEL) to Los Angeles (LAX). And, of course, there are always the pilots that opt to use humor on their flights.
Congratulations to Captain Ritchie on his achievement!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.