A Look Inside South America’s First Luxury Train
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There must be something in the air. Just weeks after Japan’s new, ultra-luxurious train, the Shiki-shima, made its debut, South America became home to its very own — and reportedly, its very first — luxury sleeper train. If you’ve ever dreamed of trekking through Peru, but can’t see yourself in pair of hiking boots and backpack, the Belmond Andean Explorer may be just what you need.
Whether your ideal journey entails a weekend escape to the Peruvian Highlands, where you can visit the ancient Inca site at Raqch’i and wake up to watch the sunrise over Lake Titicaca, or conquer your acrophobia with a one-night journey between Puno and Cusco along one of the world’s highest train routes, Belmond has got an itinerary for every type of traveler. The only prerequisite is that wherever you’re headed, you want to get there in style.
Limiting its capacity to just 48 passengers, a journey aboard the Belmond Andean Explorer is a totally intimate affair with onboard amenities that will have you wishing you didn’t need to disembark at all.
“I wanted to connect the interior with the location and make it a holistic journey of discovery,” said Inge Moor, who designed the train’s interior spaces. “The journey starts with the immediate surroundings — a place to calm the senses, enable a new state of ‘slow living’ and relaxation whilst connecting with nature.”
Unlike Japan’s aforementioned Shiki-shima train, it doesn’t cost as much as a Rolex Submariner to hop aboard the Belmond Andean Explorer. Though prices vary based on itinerary and cabin type, they’re based on double occupancy and start at $480 per person for a one-night journey and $1,225 per person for a two-night journey.
As for what that’ll get you? In addition to your cabin, of which there are four types (Deluxe Double Bed Cabin, Junior Double Bed Cabin, Twin Bed Cabin or Bunk Bed Cabin), there’s also a lounge car, a piano bar, a pair of dining cars — Llama and Muña — and a spa. Check out the video below for a sneak peek at the scenery that awaits you.
All images courtesy of Belmond Management Limited.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees