A Look Inside South America’s First Luxury Train
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There must be something in the air. Just weeks after Japan’s new, ultra-luxurious train, the Shiki-shima, made its debut, South America became home to its very own — and reportedly, its very first — luxury sleeper train. If you’ve ever dreamed of trekking through Peru, but can’t see yourself in pair of hiking boots and backpack, the Belmond Andean Explorer may be just what you need.
Whether your ideal journey entails a weekend escape to the Peruvian Highlands, where you can visit the ancient Inca site at Raqch’i and wake up to watch the sunrise over Lake Titicaca, or conquer your acrophobia with a one-night journey between Puno and Cusco along one of the world’s highest train routes, Belmond has got an itinerary for every type of traveler. The only prerequisite is that wherever you’re headed, you want to get there in style.
Limiting its capacity to just 48 passengers, a journey aboard the Belmond Andean Explorer is a totally intimate affair with onboard amenities that will have you wishing you didn’t need to disembark at all.
“I wanted to connect the interior with the location and make it a holistic journey of discovery,” said Inge Moor, who designed the train’s interior spaces. “The journey starts with the immediate surroundings — a place to calm the senses, enable a new state of ‘slow living’ and relaxation whilst connecting with nature.”
Unlike Japan’s aforementioned Shiki-shima train, it doesn’t cost as much as a Rolex Submariner to hop aboard the Belmond Andean Explorer. Though prices vary based on itinerary and cabin type, they’re based on double occupancy and start at $480 per person for a one-night journey and $1,225 per person for a two-night journey.
As for what that’ll get you? In addition to your cabin, of which there are four types (Deluxe Double Bed Cabin, Junior Double Bed Cabin, Twin Bed Cabin or Bunk Bed Cabin), there’s also a lounge car, a piano bar, a pair of dining cars — Llama and Muña — and a spa. Check out the video below for a sneak peek at the scenery that awaits you.
All images courtesy of Belmond Management Limited.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.