May Valuations, More Drama for US Airlines, American’s Making Economy an Even Tighter Squeeze and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
Find out what your points and miles are worth in May and see why one program got its value knocked down this month.
Delta was involved in another incident with passengers this week, where it removed an entire family from a flight. But, in this case, the airline isn’t entirely at fault. Read about the whole incident here.
More bad news for economy flyers — American is planning on decreasing legroom on some of its upcoming 737 MAX aircraft from 31 inches of pitch to 29 inches, further degrading the in-flight experience for economy passengers.
United’s adding a new route from its hub in Newark (EWR) to Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) and upping the frequency of its existing flight between EWR and Bogotá, Colombia (BOG). The second-daily flight to BOG will operate in the summer months, and the inaugural flight to EZE will come at the end of October 2017.
Currently, two co-branded American Airlines credit cards from Citi are offering elevated sign-up bonuses. Here are some of the best ways to redeem the 60,000 AAdvantage miles you’ll earn if you sign up for either of the cards.
In other news…
Earn 3,000 Bonus TrueBlue Points When You Sign Up for Amazon Prime
If you’ve been thinking about joining Amazon Prime, make sure you sign up through JetBlue between now and June 8, 2017 so you can take advantage of a promo that will give you 3,000 bonus TrueBlue points just for signing up.
British Airways Introduces ‘Part Payment’ Option for Flights
British Airways is making it a little easier for customers to pay for flights by introducing an option to book with a combination of Avios and cash. You can use as few as 1,250 Avios to discount the cash price of your ticket by $12.
Delta Amex Cardholders Can Receive Free Premium Drinks at Sky Clubs for a Limited Time
If you’re a Delta Amex cardholder, Delta’s offering you two complimentary premium drinks in its US Sky Clubs between now and May 14, 2017. Simply present your eligible card to the bartender and then enjoy your two free drinks.
Get a 25% Bonus When You Transfer Amex Points to JetBlue
From now until May 31, 2017, you’ll receive a 25% bonus when you transfer Membership Rewards points to JetBlue’s TrueBlue program. With the bonus, you’ll get a transfer ratio of 1:1.
Double TrueBlue Points on Icelandair Flights Through Early July
JetBlue and Icelandair have a new partnership — and to celebrate, JetBlue is offering TrueBlue members double points on Icelandair flights through July 7, 2017. Be sure to include your TrueBlue number when you book through Icelandair.
Featured image of Bogotá, Colombia courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.