This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
This three bedroom, 16,577 square foot private villa at the St. Regis Maldives comes equipped with a large pool, private gym, screening room and more. The cost for all this luxury? $21,000+ per night.
Recently, TPG Associate Editor Emily McNutt experienced an overbooked flight on her way from NYC to South Carolina. Instead of devolving into a chaotic situation with injured passengers, the situation was easily resolved thanks to Delta offering generous compensation for confirmed passengers to give up their seats.
American Airlines invited TPG to experience its new Flagship First Dining located in JFK’s Terminal 8. AA has invested a lot in this exclusive perk — and it shows. Check out all the food and drink available for the airline’s top flyers.
The Unaccompanied Flyer sat down with American Airlines CEO Doug Parker earlier this month for an interview. And, the interviewer didn’t pull any punches, asking right off the bat why the airline moved to a revenue-based frequent flyer program. Read what Parker had to say and see if you agree with him.
TPG chose to stay at Amanyara, Turks and Caicos on a recent vacation to the Caribbean nation. Did it live up to the hype of an Aman resort (and the steep price tag)?
In other news…
Earn Bonus TrueBlue Points for JetBlue Flights From NYC
You can earn up to 6,000 bonus TrueBlue points when you register for JetBlue’s current promo and then fly up to three round-trip flights between NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR) by July 23, 2017.
Earn Double Business Extra Points on AA Flights to Europe For a Limited Time
American Airlines recently launched a trio of transatlantic flights between Dallas (DFW) and Amsterdam (AMS) and Rome (FCO) and Chicago (ORD) and Barcelona (BCN). To celebrate the new routes, it’s offering double Business Extra points when you fly on any of those routes between now and June 30, 2017. Register for the promotion using the promo code 3EUR17.
American Airlines Eliminating Full Beverage Service On Short Haul Flights
Beginning June 1, AA will end its full beverage service that it currently offers on several flights under 250 miles. If you’re seated in first class, you’ll receive a small bottle of water and a cup of juice.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees