You Can Now Fly Drones Unhindered by the FAA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 7/10/17 9:30am: If you paid the fee to register your drone with the FAA, you can now get the $5 refunded. To do so, visit the FAA’s website. There, you can also delete your registration in the FAA’s database as long as you confirm you’re flying your drone for recreational uses.
Drone owners received good news today after a federal court in Washington, D.C. issued a ruling stating that they’ll no longer have to register drones with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) if flying it for personal use. The court found that the regulation was in violation of the the FAA Modernization and Reform Act from 2012. The drone regulations, originally implemented in 2015, conflicted with a law banning the FAA from regulating model aircraft operation. Note, however, that if you’re using a drone for commercial purposes, you’ll still need to register it with the FAA.
Drone hobbyist John Taylor brought the case to the court with the argument that the FAA didn’t have the authority to deem what qualifies as a model aircraft. The court agreed with Taylor based on this reasoning. This ruling is good news for hobbyists who don’t want to deal with regulations and the $5 registration fee that was required for even a casual drone flight. However, many states and localities have their own rules when it comes to flying drones.
It’s possible that the FAA will appeal the ruling or that Congress will pass a new law to clarify the agency’s authority with respect to the operation of unmanned aircraft. The agency has registered more than 820,000 drones since it began doing so in 2015. There have been a number of safety incidents involving drones and the FAA has been strictly enforcing its regulations across the country.
For now, it’ll be easier for casual drone flyers to capture incredible aerial footage of destinations around the US, maybe as dramatic as this footage that was captured over Tokyo for an episode of TPGtv.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees