Own a Piece of Rock ‘n’ Roll History: Elvis’ Private Jet Is for Sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Exciting news for rock ‘n’ roll fans, history buffs, AV geeks or — better yet — a combination of all three: The owner of Elvis Presley’s 1962 Lockheed Jetstar Jet is auctioning off the private plane to the highest bidder. The plane, which the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll co-owned with his father, Vernon Presley, was custom-made and specifically designed by the younger Presley.
The plane is thought to sell for somewhere between $2 million and $3.5 million and is one of only 204 airplanes created by JetStar and Lockheed in a private project that lasted from 1957 to 1978. The plane, known as the “Lost” jet, features red velvet seats, a red shag carpet, marble bathroom sinks and gold detailing. Elvis owned three private jets, two of which — the Lisa Marie and the Hound Dog II — are permanently housed at Elvis’ Graceland estate.
The plane, which was said to hold special meaning for Elvis because of the joint ownership with his father, hasn’t taken flight in some time — in fact, it hasn’t been restored since Elvis first bought it, not to mention it lacks all cockpit avionics and functioning engines. For the past 35 years, the plane has been privately owned and grounded at an airfield in Roswell, New Mexico although reportedly, the owner hopes Priscilla Presley will win the bidding war and reunite the plane with its two counterparts at Graceland.
H/T: Conde Nast Traveler
Featured image courtesy of Live Auctioneers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees