Great One-Time Chance to Redeem Miles for United Polaris Seats to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While United promotes its business class as “Polaris” on many routes, in most cases it’s just the soft product — meaning the food, service, amenities and so on — that folks will receive since the majority of the actual physical seats are still being manufactured and delivered. The only plane you’ll find the real Polaris seats on for the moment are the new United 777-300ER aircraft, which as of this writing are generally being flown between San Francisco (SFO) and Hong Kong (HKG) and starting today between Newark (EWR) and Tel Aviv (TLV). Awards on those routes are difficult to find at the lowest saver level, so in most cases you’ll either have to pay cash or the ridiculously high standard award price.
However, thanks to Ryan Ewing on Twitter, we’ve learned that if you’re free this weekend and live in Washington, D.C. or can easily get to the nation’s capital, there’s a one-time opportunity to fly in true Polaris class cheaply on miles. That’s because United appears to be flying one of its 777-300ERs this Saturday at 6:15pm from Dulles (IAD) to London-Heathrow (LHR).
The flight is technically listed as a 777-200, but when you open the seat map, it’s a 1-2-1 Polaris seat configuration and first class has been zeroed out, so this appears to be a 777-300ER. The actual aircraft is departing from its usual base in San Francisco to Washington as the 7:30am flight, though there don’t appear to be any Polaris mileage seats available on that leg. But at the moment, you can redeem for the Washington to London leg on Saturday for just 57,500 miles plus $80.60 in taxes and fees, which is a terrific deal for the entire Polaris experience.
Or since United is a member of the Star Alliance, you can also book these seats via other Star Alliance partners and in some cases get an even better deal. For instance, Air Canada’s Aeroplan shows this flight available in business class for just 55,000 miles and a minuscule $7.70 Canadian dollars (~$5.60) in taxes and fees since Aeroplan doesn’t charge a close-in booking fee. Even if you don’t have any Aeroplan miles, you can transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Aeroplan and they should arrive instantly.
We don’t yet see where this particular aircraft is going next, but if you’re interested in a trip to Europe and have the flexibility to leave quickly — a tall order for normal folks but not that out of the ordinary for readers of The Points Guy — grab one of these tickets while you still can!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.