Great One-Time Chance to Redeem Miles for United Polaris Seats to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While United promotes its business class as “Polaris” on many routes, in most cases it’s just the soft product — meaning the food, service, amenities and so on — that folks will receive since the majority of the actual physical seats are still being manufactured and delivered. The only plane you’ll find the real Polaris seats on for the moment are the new United 777-300ER aircraft, which as of this writing are generally being flown between San Francisco (SFO) and Hong Kong (HKG) and starting today between Newark (EWR) and Tel Aviv (TLV). Awards on those routes are difficult to find at the lowest saver level, so in most cases you’ll either have to pay cash or the ridiculously high standard award price.
However, thanks to Ryan Ewing on Twitter, we’ve learned that if you’re free this weekend and live in Washington, D.C. or can easily get to the nation’s capital, there’s a one-time opportunity to fly in true Polaris class cheaply on miles. That’s because United appears to be flying one of its 777-300ERs this Saturday at 6:15pm from Dulles (IAD) to London-Heathrow (LHR).
The flight is technically listed as a 777-200, but when you open the seat map, it’s a 1-2-1 Polaris seat configuration and first class has been zeroed out, so this appears to be a 777-300ER. The actual aircraft is departing from its usual base in San Francisco to Washington as the 7:30am flight, though there don’t appear to be any Polaris mileage seats available on that leg. But at the moment, you can redeem for the Washington to London leg on Saturday for just 57,500 miles plus $80.60 in taxes and fees, which is a terrific deal for the entire Polaris experience.
Or since United is a member of the Star Alliance, you can also book these seats via other Star Alliance partners and in some cases get an even better deal. For instance, Air Canada’s Aeroplan shows this flight available in business class for just 55,000 miles and a minuscule $7.70 Canadian dollars (~$5.60) in taxes and fees since Aeroplan doesn’t charge a close-in booking fee. Even if you don’t have any Aeroplan miles, you can transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Aeroplan and they should arrive instantly.
We don’t yet see where this particular aircraft is going next, but if you’re interested in a trip to Europe and have the flexibility to leave quickly — a tall order for normal folks but not that out of the ordinary for readers of The Points Guy — grab one of these tickets while you still can!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees