Hop on Board One of the World’s Shortest Scheduled Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you think about a short flight, you probably envision hops between NYC and Philadelphia or Los Angeles and Las Vegas. But when we say this is a short flight — we mean it. In fact, this particular flight lasts only about 12 minutes. TPG contributor and aviation industry analyst Alex Macheras recently took a ride on a turbo prop from Sao Miguel (PDL) to Santa Maria (SMA) — two beautiful islands located in the Portuguese Azores archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean (about a two and a half hour flight from Lisbon).
Alex got the chance to sit up front in this Bombardier Dash-8 Q400 for the very quick hop — and captured it on video for your viewing pleasure. The flight’s operated several times daily as a commuter route between the two islands, and frankly looks like a fantastic way to spend 12 minutes of your day. It’s incredible that you can get transported from one island paradise to another in such a short time. Oh, and the views are pretty amazing too. Check out Alex’s video below:
— Alex Macheras (@AlexInAir) May 19, 2017
What’s the shortest flight you’ve ever been on?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees