Hop on Board One of the World’s Shortest Scheduled Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you think about a short flight, you probably envision hops between NYC and Philadelphia or Los Angeles and Las Vegas. But when we say this is a short flight — we mean it. In fact, this particular flight lasts only about 12 minutes. TPG contributor and aviation industry analyst Alex Macheras recently took a ride on a turbo prop from Sao Miguel (PDL) to Santa Maria (SMA) — two beautiful islands located in the Portuguese Azores archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean (about a two and a half hour flight from Lisbon).
Alex got the chance to sit up front in this Bombardier Dash-8 Q400 for the very quick hop — and captured it on video for your viewing pleasure. The flight’s operated several times daily as a commuter route between the two islands, and frankly looks like a fantastic way to spend 12 minutes of your day. It’s incredible that you can get transported from one island paradise to another in such a short time. Oh, and the views are pretty amazing too. Check out Alex’s video below:
— Alex Macheras (@AlexInAir) May 19, 2017
What’s the shortest flight you’ve ever been on?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.