This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While typical spa experiences may mean you’re expected to do nothing but sit back and get pampered, at Nihi Sumba Island you really have to earn the right to relax. It’s technically optional, but I recommend taking the 90-minute safari trek through beautiful Indonesian-island rice patties to the spa, which is perched on an insane cliff overlooking the ocean.
It’s not the easiest hike in the world — especially because it can be pretty hot, even in the earlier morning — but along the way, you’ll get to stop by a traditional Sumbanese village and see how the people of the island live. Sure, you’ll burn off some calories but you’ll also end up gaining them all back once you eat your breakfast or lunch cliffside before your marathon of spa treatments begins.
You can choose between the half-day ($495 per couple) or the full-day ($695 per couple) experience, which includes the safari, breakfast, a shaded pavilion and a dedicated spa therapist — we chose to do two half-day sessions. The traditional massages are out of this world. There are several different treatment rooms available, and ours was in the honeymoon suite, which includes a private villa that you can stay in on your last night (if you request it). I stayed in the Marangga Villa because I liked it and didn’t want to pack up and move.
The best part is that after you’re deep into your post-massage haze, you won’t have to hike back since there are cars to whisk you away to your villa. Getting a great workout, then some relaxation in an incredible environment is why the spa safari is an experience you shouldn’t miss during a stay at Nihi Sumba Island. Check out the video above to see what it was like.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees