This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Airlander 10, the world’s largest aircraft, successfully completed a 180-minute test flight on May 10. The massive airship, which is designed to stay airborne at altitudes of up to 20,000 feet for five days at a time, combines technology from airships, airplanes and helicopters. With its recent triumphant test flight, the cargo ship is one step closer to commercial flight.
Check out this massive flying machine in this week’s crazy aviation video, below:
The mammoth airship may not be the most efficient way for travelers to get from Point A to Point B, but the Airlander is far faster than cargo ships — it can reach speeds of up to 90 mph — and it can carry 22,050 pounds of equipment. While that barely compares to the 308,000 pounds that a Boeing 747-8 freighter can haul, the 747-8F can only stay airborne for about 14 hours.
While five days may seem like a long time to stay airborne, other airships in development are looking to stay aloft for up to three weeks. Aside from the long duration aloft, airships do not need the infrastructure of normal airplanes like runways and airports, allowing them to reach isolated regions. Finally, these airships are much better for the environment and could help to reduce cargo planes’ contribution to climate change.
What do you think of the so-called “Flying Bum”?
Featured image courtesy of Justin Tallis via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees