This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Airlander 10, the world’s largest aircraft, successfully completed a 180-minute test flight on May 10. The massive airship, which is designed to stay airborne at altitudes of up to 20,000 feet for five days at a time, combines technology from airships, airplanes and helicopters. With its recent triumphant test flight, the cargo ship is one step closer to commercial flight.
Check out this massive flying machine in this week’s crazy aviation video, below:
The mammoth airship may not be the most efficient way for travelers to get from Point A to Point B, but the Airlander is far faster than cargo ships — it can reach speeds of up to 90 mph — and it can carry 22,050 pounds of equipment. While that barely compares to the 308,000 pounds that a Boeing 747-8 freighter can haul, the 747-8F can only stay airborne for about 14 hours.
While five days may seem like a long time to stay airborne, other airships in development are looking to stay aloft for up to three weeks. Aside from the long duration aloft, airships do not need the infrastructure of normal airplanes like runways and airports, allowing them to reach isolated regions. Finally, these airships are much better for the environment and could help to reduce cargo planes’ contribution to climate change.
What do you think of the so-called “Flying Bum”?
Featured image courtesy of Justin Tallis via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards