Vietnamese-American Beats World Travel Record by 17 Days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/20/17: The text below has been updated to reflect the fact that De Pecol is currently the first woman to have visited every country in the shortest amount of time.
Eric Thanh Nam Nguyen has become the youngest person to visit every country in the world. The 24 year-old, who surpassed the previous record by only 17 days, deferred starting medical school at age 21 in order to chase his goal of breaking the world record which was previously held by Brit James Asquith.
For the past three years, Nguyen was tirelessly traveling to some of the most remote — and dangerous — places on the globe. Yesterday, Nguyen landed in Eritrea at a little past 3:00 am local time, finally completing his voyage. But Nguyen’s journey was not without its hiccups. According to one account, Nguyen was almost kidnapped by a gang in Libya, got in a motorcycle accident in Guinea, was held at gunpoint in Liberia and got stuck on the border in Yemen for five days with no way out (some of these countries could be more fun to visit from the comfort of your own home).
While Nguyen will take the world record from Asquith, he will also take the title of youngest American to visit all of the world’s countries which belonged to Lee Abbamonte, a native of Connecticut. Abbamonte completed this massive task at age 32 before he was overshadowed by another Connecticut Native, Cassie De Pecol. She made her way around the headlines (and the globe) earlier this year when she became the first woman to visit every country in the world in the shortest amount of time.
The group of people who have traveled to every country in the world is an exclusive one as the task is expensive, dangerous and takes a good bit of mental strength. Nguyen was able to finance his trip — which cost an estimated $70,000 — through sponsors, the same way De Pecol afforded her trip which came in at a whopping $209,000. Maybe on the next go round these adventurous travelers can make further use of their points and miles.
H/T: The Huffington Post
Featured image of Eritrea courtesy of Hugy via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees