Is This Emirates’ New 777 First Class Arrangement?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/30/17: Emirates has confirmed that its new first class will be arranged in a 1-1-1 configuration and will debut at the Dubai Air Show in November.
Emirates first class is a bucket list item for many premium cabin travelers. The close-able first class suites on Emirates set the bar high for luxury in the sky when introduced back in 2003. However, since then, there haven’t been many improvements to the seat — while incredible products like Singapore Suites and Etihad’s A380 Apartment have been raising the standard for top-notch luxury.
Well, it looks like Emirates might be stepping up its game: for flights starting December 1, the Emirates 777 is switching from a 1-2-1 configuration to a 1-1-1 staggered configuration — at least for Emirates flights 229 and 230 between Dubai (DXB) to Seattle (SEA).
For example, here’s the current 777-300ER first-class seat, with a 1-2-1 arrangement:
Meanwhile, here’s how ExpertFlyer shows the December 1 and November 30 flights:
As you can see, first class is switching arrangements (1-1-1 vs. 1-2-1) but business class is staying the same. Further back, the economy cabin is retaining the same number of rows and seats. So, it doesn’t seem that the first class cabin is gaining any real estate — that is, unless pitch is tightening in economy. However, the switch from eight seats to six seats in first class would indicate a wider footprint.
Interestingly, the two middle seats are staggered: 1E and 2F. It’ll be interesting to see if this means all of the seats are staggered with the new suites – like the Apartment – or if this is merely an indication that the middle suites will be accessible from different aisles.
If you want to check out the new arrangement, there’s no award availability for the “inaugural.” But, you can book the new seats during the first week it’s flying. The first flight from SEA-DXB with first-class award availability is December 3:
Going the other direction from DXB-SEA, the first flight with first award availability is December 5:
We checked Emirates’ other 777 routes to the US (DXB-FLL, ATH-EWR, DXB-BOS, DXB-IAH, DXB-ORD, DXB-DFW) but this configuration doesn’t show up at any point between now and the end of schedule.
We have reached out to Emirates for more information about the new arrangement and the potential for a new suite/seat to debut. Our request for comment hasn’t been returned, but we’ll update this article when we hear back.
H/T: Airline Hub Buzz
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.