A New Way to Ease Pre-Flight Anxiety: Play With a Mini Horse
Feeling anxious before a flight is common. Getting to play with a miniature horse in order to ease that anxiety is not. But thanks to a few of the adorable residents of Hamilton, Ohio’s Seven Oaks Farm, travelers making their way through Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) can spend some time bonding with these teensy-weensy equines.
While therapy animals have become a common sight at airports around the world — more than two dozen US airports employ therapy dogs, while San Francisco International Airport (SFO) has a therapy pig — mini horses are a new idea. Originally the CVG powers-that-be had planned on bringing in a team of therapy pooches to greet travelers are they arrived at the airport, until they learned about Lisa Moad’s Seven Oaks Farm and its pack of mini horses. Twice a month, Moad’s team brings a few of its residents to the airport, where they mix and mingle with arriving passengers.
Moad told NPR that the horses have a unique way of easing travelers’ pre-flight tension. People have told her that interacting with the horses “made them feel much better, kind of calmed [them] down, took a deep breath. A lot of them thank us for being there at that time because they needed that little bit of support before they get on the plane.”
According to NPR, each of the on-duty horses has hundreds of hours of airport training, so that nothing about the normal buzz of an airport — rolling suitcases, hurried passengers, overhead announcements — rattles them. And the horses themselves love the attention, whether it’s a quick pet or an epic selfie.
“It’s just to ease anxiety levels [and] put smiles on faces,” airport official Wendi Orlando told NPR. “Clearly that’s working. When you look at the passengers walking by, it just never gets old. They love seeing the horses.” Who wouldn’t? Check out the video below for a closer look.
Featured image courtesy of Seven Oaks Farm.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees