A New Way to Ease Pre-Flight Anxiety: Play With a Mini Horse
Feeling anxious before a flight is common. Getting to play with a miniature horse in order to ease that anxiety is not. But thanks to a few of the adorable residents of Hamilton, Ohio’s Seven Oaks Farm, travelers making their way through Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) can spend some time bonding with these teensy-weensy equines.
While therapy animals have become a common sight at airports around the world — more than two dozen US airports employ therapy dogs, while San Francisco International Airport (SFO) has a therapy pig — mini horses are a new idea. Originally the CVG powers-that-be had planned on bringing in a team of therapy pooches to greet travelers are they arrived at the airport, until they learned about Lisa Moad’s Seven Oaks Farm and its pack of mini horses. Twice a month, Moad’s team brings a few of its residents to the airport, where they mix and mingle with arriving passengers.
Moad told NPR that the horses have a unique way of easing travelers’ pre-flight tension. People have told her that interacting with the horses “made them feel much better, kind of calmed [them] down, took a deep breath. A lot of them thank us for being there at that time because they needed that little bit of support before they get on the plane.”
According to NPR, each of the on-duty horses has hundreds of hours of airport training, so that nothing about the normal buzz of an airport — rolling suitcases, hurried passengers, overhead announcements — rattles them. And the horses themselves love the attention, whether it’s a quick pet or an epic selfie.
“It’s just to ease anxiety levels [and] put smiles on faces,” airport official Wendi Orlando told NPR. “Clearly that’s working. When you look at the passengers walking by, it just never gets old. They love seeing the horses.” Who wouldn’t? Check out the video below for a closer look.
Featured image courtesy of Seven Oaks Farm.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.