This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/25/17 9:41am: United has also added a travel waiver for flights today. Despite our glib comments below, this AA and Delta’s travel waivers were certainly timely. Newark (EWR), New York’s JFK and LaGuardia (LGA) are reporting average delays of 143, 250 and 160 minutes, respectively
Nearly half an inch of rain is forecast for the New York City area tomorrow. So, you know what that means: airline weather waivers! Our near-weekly NYC airport weather waivers are back again for flights Thursday, May 25.
So far only American Airlines and Delta have issued waivers. But, hopefully at least United will release an us-too travel waiver soon.
Here are the airports that are included in at least one of the waivers so far:
If you’re flying to/from the affected airports, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. Or, if you’re just connecting through the area, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates. You might be able to get really creative with these:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers for Thursday:
- Travel date: May 25
- Airports affected: Islip, New York (ISP); New York Kennedy, New York (JFK); New York LaGuardia, New York (LGA); Newark, New Jersey (EWR); Stewart Newburgh, New York (SWF); White Plains / Westchester County, New York (HPN)
- Must have bought your ticket by May 24. Rebook travel anytime between May 24-28. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel date: May 25
- Airports affected: Newburgh, NY (SWF); New York, NY-Kennedy (JFK); New York, NY-LaGuardia (LGA); Newark, NJ (EWR); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: May 28
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond May 28, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards