This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The ancient city of Petra has long been a major draw for tourists to its home country of Jordan. Deep within the Jordanian desert, the enormous city emerges through a narrow gorge, revealing mesmerizing structures carved into the surrounding sandstone cliffs. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage site, a phenomenal destination distinct from many other ruins around the world. But tourism to the awe-inspiring city, which is half-built and half-carved into the rock face, has fallen due to concerns over safety in the region.
To help combat recent hits to the tourism industry, the country recently opened The Jordan Trail, a 400-mile hiking path that runs the length of the country, beginning in the north at Umm Qais and running all the way to the Dead Sea in the south. The trail passes through various ecosystems, many historical sites and 52 settlements, where hikers can engage with the locals and even stay with them in their communities.
Walking the entire length of the trail takes about 40 days to complete, though with such breathtaking scenery, it may seem much faster. For those who don’t wish to wander biblically through the desert for almost six weeks, the trail has been separated into eight sections, each featuring its own distinct landscapes. The options are endless, with multiple trails ranging from day hikes to multi-day trips, all of which can be guided (prices vary) or explored independently.
H/T: The Independent
Featured image of Petra courtesy of Boris Streubel via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that