Ibiza Airport ‘Disgusting’ After Days-Long Cleaning Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Ibiza International Airport (IBZ) was apparently in vile condition after the cleaning staff went on strike beginning May 17. A local publication reported that the Spanish airport failed to pay its cleaning staff for three months leading to the decision to strike for three months or until fully compensated. After only six days of the strike the airport was filthy with travelers documenting the grotesque conditions.
Ibiza Airport – get your act together. Place is filthy as cleaners on strike! Toilet paper / soap empty in every toilet! Place is disgusting pic.twitter.com/MKwvgj8Vzs
— Dave Kemp ⚡ (@noizefeeler) May 19, 2017
In photos posted to Twitter, garbage cans are seen overflowing with trash and it was reported that there was no toilet paper or soap in the entire airport. EasyJet, a European low-cost carrier, recommended on its website that visitors to Ibiza use the toilets on board before landing at the Ibiza airport.
The state of Ibiza airport today was disgusting! pic.twitter.com/cstumna9gF
— Eve Sale (@EveSalexx) May 22, 2017
Luckily for travelers to the hard-partying island, the staff came to an agreement with Aena, a Spanish airport management company. The cleaning staff was set to return to work early yesterday morning. Hopefully, they will continue to get paid for the work they’re doing in keeping the airport running smoothly.
Featured image courtesy of Sigrid Gombert via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.