Ibiza Airport ‘Disgusting’ After Days-Long Cleaning Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Ibiza International Airport (IBZ) was apparently in vile condition after the cleaning staff went on strike beginning May 17. A local publication reported that the Spanish airport failed to pay its cleaning staff for three months leading to the decision to strike for three months or until fully compensated. After only six days of the strike the airport was filthy with travelers documenting the grotesque conditions.
Ibiza Airport – get your act together. Place is filthy as cleaners on strike! Toilet paper / soap empty in every toilet! Place is disgusting pic.twitter.com/MKwvgj8Vzs
— Dave Kemp ⚡ (@noizefeeler) May 19, 2017
In photos posted to Twitter, garbage cans are seen overflowing with trash and it was reported that there was no toilet paper or soap in the entire airport. EasyJet, a European low-cost carrier, recommended on its website that visitors to Ibiza use the toilets on board before landing at the Ibiza airport.
The state of Ibiza airport today was disgusting! pic.twitter.com/cstumna9gF
— Eve Sale (@EveSalexx) May 22, 2017
Luckily for travelers to the hard-partying island, the staff came to an agreement with Aena, a Spanish airport management company. The cleaning staff was set to return to work early yesterday morning. Hopefully, they will continue to get paid for the work they’re doing in keeping the airport running smoothly.
Featured image courtesy of Sigrid Gombert via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees