Ibiza Airport ‘Disgusting’ After Days-Long Cleaning Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Ibiza International Airport (IBZ) was apparently in vile condition after the cleaning staff went on strike beginning May 17. A local publication reported that the Spanish airport failed to pay its cleaning staff for three months leading to the decision to strike for three months or until fully compensated. After only six days of the strike the airport was filthy with travelers documenting the grotesque conditions.
Ibiza Airport – get your act together. Place is filthy as cleaners on strike! Toilet paper / soap empty in every toilet! Place is disgusting pic.twitter.com/MKwvgj8Vzs
— Dave Kemp ⚡ (@noizefeeler) May 19, 2017
In photos posted to Twitter, garbage cans are seen overflowing with trash and it was reported that there was no toilet paper or soap in the entire airport. EasyJet, a European low-cost carrier, recommended on its website that visitors to Ibiza use the toilets on board before landing at the Ibiza airport.
The state of Ibiza airport today was disgusting! pic.twitter.com/cstumna9gF
— Eve Sale (@EveSalexx) May 22, 2017
Luckily for travelers to the hard-partying island, the staff came to an agreement with Aena, a Spanish airport management company. The cleaning staff was set to return to work early yesterday morning. Hopefully, they will continue to get paid for the work they’re doing in keeping the airport running smoothly.
Featured image courtesy of Sigrid Gombert via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.