Thanks to Google Earth’s New Voyager Feature, You May Never Have to Go Outside Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Imagine if BBC’s Planet Earth was not a filmed tour of the globe guided by Sir David Attenborough but instead an interactive computer game complete with factoids and 3D imagery so crisp, you could almost imagine you took the photos yourself. Welcome to the latest version of Google’s globe-trotting tool, Google Earth. The internet giant recently added some awesome new features, including updated satellite imagery, which is then used to create astounding visual clarity and definition across the virtual globe. While you can still explore the earth like before — by selecting a location and viewing it from above — you can now venture much deeper into your virtual round-the-world adventures.
In addition to the new 3D imagery, the most exciting feature has to be Voyager, a curated selection of “trips” that are broken down into categories — Editor’s Picks, Travel, Nature, Culture and History — that you can take through Google Earth. Options range from exploring the cliffs and ravines of the Grand Canyon; an immersive adventure that details a journey through the Kavango Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area; a trek through 41 of the most interesting spots in the Galapagos Islands, including some that are underwater; deep dives so you can swim with different species of sharks; and a great trip for the boozy writer in all of us called Hemingway’s Hangouts that takes you inside bars around the world where the famed author was known to sip his dry martinis.
The similarities between Google Earth’s new interactive and educational product and BBC’s Planet Earth are no accident — the two media giants have paired up to create some of Google Earth’s new experiences. Google Earth is also working with the World Wildlife Fund, the NASA Earth Observatory and the Ocean Agency, among others, to create a well-rounded and enlightening experience for any curious traveler.
While you could spend hours just exploring this site and taking in all the information, it may also be helpful to use as a resource for planning your next adventure. Check out hotspots around the globe or use the “I’m feeling lucky” tool to get Google to drop you somewhere completely surprising.
Overall, the new Voyager tool is a solid addition to Google Earth and you’ll be able to “visit” obscure regions, learn about endangered species and maybe even be inspired to book that vacation of a lifetime.
Featured image courtesy of Kunal Panchal via Google Earth.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees