Fire at Singapore Airport Leads to Delays and Evacuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal 2 at Singapore’s Changi International Airport (SIN) was evacuated Tuesday (May 16) after a ‘small fire’ broke out in the departures hall, according to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). The fire reportedly started within the facility’s air-handling system but has since been put out. Three travelers were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
— The Straits Times (@STcom) May 16, 2017
Passengers were evacuated out on to the tarmac at Terminal 2 and allegedly remained outside for several hours while airport authorities were dealing with the fire. The airport directed all arriving and departing flights to T3, which led to significant delays for travelers. T2 was closed for several hours after the evacuation.
Due to the fire @ Singapore Changi Airport T2, SQ flights departing & arriving @ T2 will be delayed until further notice. Updates to follow.
— Singapore Airlines (@SingaporeAir) May 16, 2017
The SCDF gave its all-clear report around 10:00pm local time in Singapore (10:00am ET) and the airport reopened the terminal shortly thereafter. Flights are expected to ‘resume progressively’ at the terminal, but note that you may still experience delays if you’re traveling to, from or through the airport. Local authorities have opened an investigation into the incident.
Featured image of T2 at Singapore Changi airport courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Channel NewsAsia
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees