This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal 2 at Singapore’s Changi International Airport (SIN) was evacuated Tuesday (May 16) after a ‘small fire’ broke out in the departures hall, according to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). The fire reportedly started within the facility’s air-handling system but has since been put out. Three travelers were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
— The Straits Times (@STcom) May 16, 2017
Passengers were evacuated out on to the tarmac at Terminal 2 and allegedly remained outside for several hours while airport authorities were dealing with the fire. The airport directed all arriving and departing flights to T3, which led to significant delays for travelers. T2 was closed for several hours after the evacuation.
Due to the fire @ Singapore Changi Airport T2, SQ flights departing & arriving @ T2 will be delayed until further notice. Updates to follow.
— Singapore Airlines (@SingaporeAir) May 16, 2017
The SCDF gave its all-clear report around 10:00pm local time in Singapore (10:00am ET) and the airport reopened the terminal shortly thereafter. Flights are expected to ‘resume progressively’ at the terminal, but note that you may still experience delays if you’re traveling to, from or through the airport. Local authorities have opened an investigation into the incident.
Featured image of T2 at Singapore Changi airport courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Channel NewsAsia
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards