Fire at Singapore Airport Leads to Delays and Evacuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal 2 at Singapore’s Changi International Airport (SIN) was evacuated Tuesday (May 16) after a ‘small fire’ broke out in the departures hall, according to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). The fire reportedly started within the facility’s air-handling system but has since been put out. Three travelers were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
— The Straits Times (@STcom) May 16, 2017
Passengers were evacuated out on to the tarmac at Terminal 2 and allegedly remained outside for several hours while airport authorities were dealing with the fire. The airport directed all arriving and departing flights to T3, which led to significant delays for travelers. T2 was closed for several hours after the evacuation.
Due to the fire @ Singapore Changi Airport T2, SQ flights departing & arriving @ T2 will be delayed until further notice. Updates to follow.
— Singapore Airlines (@SingaporeAir) May 16, 2017
The SCDF gave its all-clear report around 10:00pm local time in Singapore (10:00am ET) and the airport reopened the terminal shortly thereafter. Flights are expected to ‘resume progressively’ at the terminal, but note that you may still experience delays if you’re traveling to, from or through the airport. Local authorities have opened an investigation into the incident.
Featured image of T2 at Singapore Changi airport courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Channel NewsAsia
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.