This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal 2 at Singapore’s Changi International Airport (SIN) was evacuated Tuesday (May 16) after a ‘small fire’ broke out in the departures hall, according to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). The fire reportedly started within the facility’s air-handling system but has since been put out. Three travelers were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
— The Straits Times (@STcom) May 16, 2017
Passengers were evacuated out on to the tarmac at Terminal 2 and allegedly remained outside for several hours while airport authorities were dealing with the fire. The airport directed all arriving and departing flights to T3, which led to significant delays for travelers. T2 was closed for several hours after the evacuation.
Due to the fire @ Singapore Changi Airport T2, SQ flights departing & arriving @ T2 will be delayed until further notice. Updates to follow.
— Singapore Airlines (@SingaporeAir) May 16, 2017
The SCDF gave its all-clear report around 10:00pm local time in Singapore (10:00am ET) and the airport reopened the terminal shortly thereafter. Flights are expected to ‘resume progressively’ at the terminal, but note that you may still experience delays if you’re traveling to, from or through the airport. Local authorities have opened an investigation into the incident.
Featured image of T2 at Singapore Changi airport courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Channel NewsAsia
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees