FAA Proposes to Fine United for Flying Aircraft Not in ‘Airworthy Condition’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Federal Aviation Administration has proposed to fine United Airlines $435,000 for operating more than 20 flights where the aircraft was not considered to be in “airworthy condition.” The 23 flights in question all occurred on a United Boeing 787 Dreamliner during June 2014.
According to Reuters, in June 2014, United mechanics replaced a fuel pump pressure switch on the 787. However, United failed to perform a required inspection before returning the aircraft in question back to service. According to CNBC, the replacement took place on June 9, 2014, and it wasn’t until June 28, 2014 that United performed the required inspection. In total, 23 flights — on both international and domestic routes — occurred during the period.
The FAA said that two of the 23 flights occurred after it had told United that the airline had yet to perform the required inspection. “The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority,” a United spokesman said. “We immediately took action after identifying the issue and are working closely with the FAA in their review.”
The FAA said that United has asked to meet and discuss the case. At this point, the FAA has just proposed to fine United the nearly half million dollars, and nothing has been finalized.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.