Researchers Believe That Eyedrops Could Cure Jet Lag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the downsides of international travel is the jet lag that comes with long flights that cross many time zones. Aside from staying hydrated and sleeping during flight, there’s not a whole lot the world traveler can do to combat jet lag. But, researchers at a Scottish university believe they may have found a cure — eye drops.
Scientists found a class of cells in the eye that are sensitive to light and help to regulate the body’s circadian rhythm, also known as the body’s biological clock. The cellular group, known as retinal ganglion cells, send information to the brain about light’s changing intensity, which controls sleep-related impulses. Researchers at the University of Edinburgh believe they can use this discovery to manipulate the body’s internal clock.
While still quite a way off, researchers believe eye drops could be used to alter signaling to the brain which could help reduce the effects of jet lag after traveling across the world. This may not help you on your next long-haul flight, but it’s encouraging to see scientists working towards a solution that could finally alleviate symptoms of jet lag that so many travelers currently can’t evade.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: The Independent
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.