This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the downsides of international travel is the jet lag that comes with long flights that cross many time zones. Aside from staying hydrated and sleeping during flight, there’s not a whole lot the world traveler can do to combat jet lag. But, researchers at a Scottish university believe they may have found a cure — eye drops.
Scientists found a class of cells in the eye that are sensitive to light and help to regulate the body’s circadian rhythm, also known as the body’s biological clock. The cellular group, known as retinal ganglion cells, send information to the brain about light’s changing intensity, which controls sleep-related impulses. Researchers at the University of Edinburgh believe they can use this discovery to manipulate the body’s internal clock.
While still quite a way off, researchers believe eye drops could be used to alter signaling to the brain which could help reduce the effects of jet lag after traveling across the world. This may not help you on your next long-haul flight, but it’s encouraging to see scientists working towards a solution that could finally alleviate symptoms of jet lag that so many travelers currently can’t evade.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: The Independent
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees