Researchers Believe That Eyedrops Could Cure Jet Lag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the downsides of international travel is the jet lag that comes with long flights that cross many time zones. Aside from staying hydrated and sleeping during flight, there’s not a whole lot the world traveler can do to combat jet lag. But, researchers at a Scottish university believe they may have found a cure — eye drops.
Scientists found a class of cells in the eye that are sensitive to light and help to regulate the body’s circadian rhythm, also known as the body’s biological clock. The cellular group, known as retinal ganglion cells, send information to the brain about light’s changing intensity, which controls sleep-related impulses. Researchers at the University of Edinburgh believe they can use this discovery to manipulate the body’s internal clock.
While still quite a way off, researchers believe eye drops could be used to alter signaling to the brain which could help reduce the effects of jet lag after traveling across the world. This may not help you on your next long-haul flight, but it’s encouraging to see scientists working towards a solution that could finally alleviate symptoms of jet lag that so many travelers currently can’t evade.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: The Independent
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.