This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the downsides of international travel is the jet lag that comes with long flights that cross many time zones. Aside from staying hydrated and sleeping during flight, there’s not a whole lot the world traveler can do to combat jet lag. But, researchers at a Scottish university believe they may have found a cure — eye drops.
Scientists found a class of cells in the eye that are sensitive to light and help to regulate the body’s circadian rhythm, also known as the body’s biological clock. The cellular group, known as retinal ganglion cells, send information to the brain about light’s changing intensity, which controls sleep-related impulses. Researchers at the University of Edinburgh believe they can use this discovery to manipulate the body’s internal clock.
While still quite a way off, researchers believe eye drops could be used to alter signaling to the brain which could help reduce the effects of jet lag after traveling across the world. This may not help you on your next long-haul flight, but it’s encouraging to see scientists working towards a solution that could finally alleviate symptoms of jet lag that so many travelers currently can’t evade.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: The Independent
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees