Dutch King Reveals He’s Been Moonlighting as a Pilot for 21 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Being a royal is a job that comes with many public duties — from military service to charity events to foreign diplomacy. But one royal, Dutch King Willem-Alexander, pursued another career during his reign — commercial airline pilot.
The Dutch king revealed to De Telegraaf newspaper that he has worked as a KLM pilot twice a month for the past 21 years. Willem-Alexander acceded to power in 2013 when Queen Beatrix abdicated the Dutch throne, but didn’t quit his day job. While the monarch did admit to being recognized occasionally, he conceded that it was a rare occurrence when donning his KLM uniform and pilot’s cap.
“The advantage is that I can always say I am speaking on behalf of the captain and crew to welcome (passengers) aboard, so I don’t have to say my name,” the royal told the newspaper.
The king, who only flew short haul flights in case he was needed back at home, said he found taking a break from his royal duties to fly “relaxing.” With KLM upgrading their short haul fleet to Boeing’s 737, the royal will be taking a short break from flying to learn the controls of the new plane. The king intends to continue flying after his training, so stay alert on your next KLM flight — you may be in the presence of royalty.
And, as always, Twitter’s got jokes:
H/T: The New York Times
Featured image of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima courtesy of Patrick van Katwijk via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.