Deal Alert: US Cities to China From $465 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Earlier in the holiday weekend Air Canada had some great fares to Tokyo, Japan, some of which are still available as of this writing. But today the airline has aimed its generosity at another Asian country, China, and fortunately several other full service carriers — including Delta and United — have joined in the fun. You’ll find flights to Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG) from Las Vegas (LAS), Seattle (SEA), Boston (BOS), Portland (PDX), Chicago (ORD), San Diego (SAN), Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) starting at just $478 round-trip.
We’re seeing wide availability in the fall with departures from September through early December. In most cases there’s three or five-night stay requirement, but you don’t need any tricks to get these airfares — just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, you’ll get your first checked bag free and even a complimentary meal during the flight.
If you’re planning to visit China or any other country that requires a visa, TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa to simplify what can be a complex process. Mention The Points Guy on your order form and you’ll get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Airlines: Air Canada, United Airlines, Delta Airlines
Routes: LAS/SEA/BOS/PDX/ORD/SAN/DEN/LAX/SFO to PEK/PVG
Cost: $465+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September through December
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Beijing, China (PEK) on Air Canada for $465 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Shanghai, China (PVG) nonstop on Delta for $478 round-trip via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $484 round-trip via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $498 round-trip via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop on United for $528 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $538 round-trip via Orbitz:
Denver (DEN) to Beijing (PEK) on United for $552 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $554 round-trip at Thanksgiving via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $574 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image of The Bund in Shanghai courtesy of Fei Yang/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.