Deal Alert: US Cities to China From $465 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Earlier in the holiday weekend Air Canada had some great fares to Tokyo, Japan, some of which are still available as of this writing. But today the airline has aimed its generosity at another Asian country, China, and fortunately several other full service carriers — including Delta and United — have joined in the fun. You’ll find flights to Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG) from Las Vegas (LAS), Seattle (SEA), Boston (BOS), Portland (PDX), Chicago (ORD), San Diego (SAN), Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) starting at just $478 round-trip.
We’re seeing wide availability in the fall with departures from September through early December. In most cases there’s three or five-night stay requirement, but you don’t need any tricks to get these airfares — just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, you’ll get your first checked bag free and even a complimentary meal during the flight.
If you’re planning to visit China or any other country that requires a visa, TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa to simplify what can be a complex process. Mention The Points Guy on your order form and you’ll get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Airlines: Air Canada, United Airlines, Delta Airlines
Routes: LAS/SEA/BOS/PDX/ORD/SAN/DEN/LAX/SFO to PEK/PVG
Cost: $465+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September through December
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Beijing, China (PEK) on Air Canada for $465 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Shanghai, China (PVG) nonstop on Delta for $478 round-trip via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $484 round-trip via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $498 round-trip via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Beijing (PEK) nonstop on United for $528 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $538 round-trip via Orbitz:
Denver (DEN) to Beijing (PEK) on United for $552 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $554 round-trip at Thanksgiving via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) on Air Canada for $574 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image of The Bund in Shanghai courtesy of Fei Yang/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees