Wide Open Business-Class Award Space to Europe on American
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines is notorious for offering little to no business saver awards. Usually you’ll be paying AAnytime rates, which are almost double what you’d pay for saver awards. But today, it looks like American has opened up lots of premium-cabin saver award seats on flights from the US to Europe.
You’ll only be redeeming 115,000 AA miles plus taxes and fees for a round-trip flight instead of 220,000 miles at the AAnytime rate.
Note that while American’s partner British Airways offers decent availability year-round, you’re forced to pay exorbitantly high fuel surcharges, so what makes this news worthwhile is that you’ll be flying on American metal. AA awards are still subject to the UK’s Air Passenger Duty, so expect to pay a few hundred dollars in fees on flights departing from UK airports.
Discounted flights seem to be open from October 2017 through April 2018, with multiple seats available on each flight. You’ll want to plug in your ideal departure city and destination on American’s website and then make sure you click “show full calendar” to see what days have business saver awards available.
Just make sure you’re checking what plane you’ll be flying before booking a ticket, since American’s business-class products can vary greatly. Reference our post Every American Airlines Premium Seat Ranked From Best to Worst to choose the best possible product.
If you want to accrue more American miles, you can earn 60,000 bonus miles if you sign up for the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and spend $3,000 in the first three months of account opening. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
New York to Barcelona
Plenty of seats are open on flights from JFK – BCN:
Chicago to London
Los Angeles to Madrid
Dallas to Paris
Will you be booking an AA award?
H/T: View From The Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees