Armored Hotel Suite To Be Used for President’s Visit to Israel
When the President arrives in Jerusalem on Monday, he will be housed in an armored presidential suite designed to fend off bombs, poison gas, bullets and even the collapse of the entire building.
According to NBC News, the suite at the King David Hotel, which normally runs about $5,700 per night, is built to withstand multiple security threats, such as a gas attack or an assault by rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs). Sheldon Ritz, operations manager for the King David, told NBC that “If the whole hotel blows up the suite will come down in one piece, so maybe a few broken bones, but they will be alive.”
Trump and his 1,000-person entourage — including Secret Service and other US and Israeli security personnel — will take over the entire 233-room, 5-star hotel, which originally opened in 1931 and overlooks the Old City and Mount Zion. The hotel will become a fortress with the highest level of security employed during the President’s stay, according to the Israeli police. Balloons with infrared cameras will monitor the site from above, while robots will roam the sewers beneath it scanning for explosives. Even the President’s meals will be rigorously inspected by a food tester supervised by both US and Israeli security forces.
The rest of Jerusalem itself will also be on high alert, with over 10,000 Israeli police officers securing the city. Roads where the President is expected to travel will be completely emptied, and armored cars and bomb-sniffing dogs will be employed throughout the area.
But the King David Hotel, which was bombed by terrorists in 1946, is one of the linchpins to the President’s security. The hotel is part of the Dan Hotels chain of 14 properties in Israel and often hosts high-profile heads of state, so the hotel’s staff is accustomed to dealing with top-level security precautions. “Nothing is taken for chance so Trump and his family will be very safe,” Ritz told NBC.
H/T: NBC News
Featured image courtesy of Danny Lyulev/Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees