New Projector Technology by DIEHL Aerosystems Lets Carriers Customize Their Cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As new aircraft continue to join fleets around the world, new cabin options like mood and atmosphere lighting, larger in-flight entertainment screens and self-cleaning hygienic lavatories are becoming familiar features for frequent flyers.
At the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg a few weeks ago, I spoke with DIEHL Aerosystems, which was in town showcasing its Dandelion Projection-Enabled Flight Experience, basically a high-tech projector that can virtually transform the walls of an airplane cabin into anything the carrier wants it to be. An aquarium at 35,000 feet? Sure. Take a look at the video below for a closer look at what this new technology can do.
Pictures and moving images are projected onto the ceiling, overhead bins and bulkheads and partitions, creating a unique environment in the cabin and giving airlines the ability to quickly and easily change the appearance of a cabin for a charter flight, for instance. The new tech can also be used to make the boarding process faster, more relaxed and more efficient by displaying different appearances for different areas of the aircraft, perfect for a low-cost carrier with a premium section of the cabin, but no class divider or cabin partitions, which is a common issue on these types of airlines. Additionally, baggage space within the overhead storage compartments could also be displayed so FAs wouldn’t need to open the bin to check for available space inside.
Of course, this also means there are obvious advertising opportunities for the airline, but like my video above demonstrates, the projector can be used to provide a pleasant in-flight atmosphere or get people excited for their trip. Would I want to have flashy Las Vegas-themed scenarios displayed throughout my night-flight to Las Vegas? No. Similarly, would I want a virtual aquarium to make me dizzy with fish swimming past Row 5 every few minutes? Definitely not. But is there the potential for clever use of this projector in the cabin to help create a relaxing atmosphere during boarding, to display key information before landing or to change a cabin brand for special charter flights? Definitely.
While there aren’t any public airline customers of DIEHL’s Dandelion Projector just yet, I think it’s something low-cost carriers could look at if they were willing to invest more on a customized interior design, and perhaps use the technology to differentiate their ‘zones’ in the cabin.
Featured image and YouTube by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.