New Projector Technology by DIEHL Aerosystems Lets Carriers Customize Their Cabins
As new aircraft continue to join fleets around the world, new cabin options like mood and atmosphere lighting, larger in-flight entertainment screens and self-cleaning hygienic lavatories are becoming familiar features for frequent flyers.
At the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg a few weeks ago, I spoke with DIEHL Aerosystems, which was in town showcasing its Dandelion Projection-Enabled Flight Experience, basically a high-tech projector that can virtually transform the walls of an airplane cabin into anything the carrier wants it to be. An aquarium at 35,000 feet? Sure. Take a look at the video below for a closer look at what this new technology can do.
Pictures and moving images are projected onto the ceiling, overhead bins and bulkheads and partitions, creating a unique environment in the cabin and giving airlines the ability to quickly and easily change the appearance of a cabin for a charter flight, for instance. The new tech can also be used to make the boarding process faster, more relaxed and more efficient by displaying different appearances for different areas of the aircraft, perfect for a low-cost carrier with a premium section of the cabin, but no class divider or cabin partitions, which is a common issue on these types of airlines. Additionally, baggage space within the overhead storage compartments could also be displayed so FAs wouldn’t need to open the bin to check for available space inside.
Of course, this also means there are obvious advertising opportunities for the airline, but like my video above demonstrates, the projector can be used to provide a pleasant in-flight atmosphere or get people excited for their trip. Would I want to have flashy Las Vegas-themed scenarios displayed throughout my night-flight to Las Vegas? No. Similarly, would I want a virtual aquarium to make me dizzy with fish swimming past Row 5 every few minutes? Definitely not. But is there the potential for clever use of this projector in the cabin to help create a relaxing atmosphere during boarding, to display key information before landing or to change a cabin brand for special charter flights? Definitely.
While there aren’t any public airline customers of DIEHL’s Dandelion Projector just yet, I think it’s something low-cost carriers could look at if they were willing to invest more on a customized interior design, and perhaps use the technology to differentiate their ‘zones’ in the cabin.
Featured image and YouTube by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees