Alaska Airlines Partners With Finnair For Mileage Earning/Redemption
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Not long after Alaska Airlines announced a new partnership with low-cost carrier Condor, the carrier’s unveiling a new partnership with Finnair. The new deal allows travelers to earn reciprocal frequent flyer miles when flying with either of the two carriers. Beginning today, Alaska Mileage Plan members can earn miles when flying on Finnair and Finnair Plus members can earn miles and redeem for award tickets when traveling with Alaska.
— Alaska Airlines (@AlaskaAir) May 22, 2017
While travelers can earn miles with either of the programs when flying, Finnair Plus members can also choose to redeem their miles for Alaska Airlines flights. The partners plan to add the option for Alaska Mileage Plan members to redeem their miles for Finnair flights later this year.
Here’s how the Finnair earnings break down when flying with Alaska:
And here’s a look at how the Alaska Mileage Plan miles earning breaks down when flying with Finnair:
Meanwhile, here’s a look at the award chart if you’re looking to redeem Finnair miles for an Alaska flight:
A one-way economy ticket within the US and Canada will cost 27,000 Finnair Plus miles or 51,000 miles in first class, which is pretty steep. Alaska’s award chart is distance-based, so the number of miles required varies based on your routing. But, one-way flights in economy within the US start at 5,000 miles (for trips less than 700 miles) or 25,000 miles in first class.
The partnership comes just a few days ahead of the launch of Finnair’s new service between Helsinki (HEL) and San Francisco (SFO). The new route, which begins on June 1, will connect West Coast-based flyers and Scandinavia — now with the opportunity to earn Alaska miles. Ultimately, this is a pretty nice addition for both programs, giving flyers more options when it comes to earning and redeeming.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees