Aeromexico Plane Hits and Knocks Over Truck at LAX, Injuring 8
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aeromexico Flight 642 had just landed at LAX shortly before 2:30pm Pacific time and was taxiing near Runway 25R to its gate when the Boeing 737 struck what Los Angeles Airport Police referred to as a “provisioning truck.” The truck overturned as a result of the collision, landing on its left side. Six men and two women aboard the truck were injured — early reports indicated one of the injuries was critical, but their status was later updated to note that all the injuries were non-life threatening. The Los Angeles Fire Department had to rescue one of the trapped occupants of the truck.
None of the 149 passengers or crew aboard the Aeromexico flight were injured, though the right wing of the plane was damaged from the impact. Passenger Kole Chadwick told ABC7 in Los Angeles that the plane “just came to an abrupt stop and there was a really loud thud. We were actually seated right next to the emergency exit and we had a pretty good view of it and there was a truck tipped over on its side.”
No fuel was spilled as a result of the collision, and the plane eventually continued to the gate where the passengers were able to disembark approximately 90 minutes after originally landing. Neither Aeromexico nor LAX authorities could explain how the accident occurred, but the airport said it would investigate the incident in conjunction with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
H/T: CBS Los Angeles
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.