American Airlines Releases Next Batch of Basic Economy Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in February, American Airlines started selling Basic Economy on 10 routes. In the few months since, AA has only added one additional route (Tampa-New Orleans) — as of last night, we now have 14 new Basic Economy routes to tell you about.
While the original routes focused on large markets where AA was facing competition from Spirit and Frontier, seven of the 14 new routes hit a surprising airport: Amarillo, Texas (AMA). That’s right, little 14-flights-a-day AMA now tops the list of airports with the most AA Basic Economy routes. Along with AMA, other hard-hit markets are: Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Miami (MIA) and Philadelphia (PHL), which each have seven routes, and Tampa (TPA), which has five.
Interestingly, while the original routes focused on point-to-point flights (i.e. MCO-CLT and CLT-PHL but not MCO-CLT-PHL), this new batch introduces connecting flight options. For now, it looks like only AMA-related connecting flights are showing up as Basic Economy. For example, when I search the new Boston (BOS) to Miami (MIA) route, the nonstop has Basic Economy fares — but one-stop options only have standard fares.
On the bright side, American Airlines is still publicly listing the routes that Basic Economy fares can be found on. United Airlines doesn’t list its Basic Economy routes — which might be because the carrier now has more than 100 routes vs. this expanded 25-route list on AA. For travelers who aren’t used to Basic Economy fares, it’s nice to be aware of the routes that are being affected, so you aren’t surprised when you book one.
Here’s the full list of the 25 Basic Economy routes:
- Amarillo (AMA) to/from Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Cincinnati (CVG), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL), Tampa (TPA)
- Boston (BOS) to/from Miami (MIA)
- Baltimore-Washington (BWI) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW)
- Charlotte (CLT) to/from Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL)
- Cincinnati (CVG) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW)
- Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Cincinnati (CVG), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL), Tampa (TPA)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Charlotte (CLT), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Philadelphia (PHL)
- Miami (MIA) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Boston (BOS), Charlotte (CLT), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY), Philadelphia (PHL), Tampa (TPA)
- New Orleans (MSY) to/from Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL), Tampa (TPA)
- Orlando (MCO) to/from Charlotte (CLT)
- Philadelphia (PHL) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Charlotte (CLT), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA), New Orleans (MSY), Tampa (TPA)
- Tampa (TPA) to/from Amarillo (AMA), Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Miami (MIA), New Orleans (MSY), Philadelphia (PHL)
If our testing of the original routes is any indication, American Airlines won’t be matching low-cost carrier pricing on these routes with its bare-bones Basic Economy fares.
Have you flown on American Airlines’ Basic Economy? Tell us about your experience, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.