6 of the Craziest Amenities at Hotels Around the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve stayed at our fair share of hotels, reviewing the good, the bad and the ugly. And while our team has seen some pretty cool amenities like beachfront access, zero-gravity yoga and a rooftop pool, those don’t come close to some of the wildest perquisites of luxury hotels. Here are some of the craziest amenities that you’ll find at hotels around the world.
1. In-Room DIY Cocktail Bar
The Ace Hotel (New Orleans, LA)
There is no shortage of alcohol in New Orleans — from Huge Ass Beers and Hurricanes to Sazeracs and French 75s. But at the Ace Hotel in New Orleans, you won’t have to venture from your room in order to get your hands on a swanky cocktail; all of the minibars at the Ace New Orleans double as an in-room cocktail bar complete with spirits, mixers, cutting board, shaker and cocktail mixing guide. Items in the minibar include tonic, vermouth, sherry, a locally produced kombucha and bitters. So if you’ve ever wanted to see if you could make it as a bartender in one of the booziest cities in the world, this Ace may be the place to try your hand.
2. Complimentary Smartphone
Dorsett Mongkok (Hong Kong)
Mobile service can be cause for a headache while traveling internationally, what with the confusing plans and high fees. If you’re staying at the Dorsett Mongkok in Hong Kong, a cellphone is one less thing you’ll have to worry about. This hotel offers complimentary smartphones complete with unlimited 3G data, free local calls and free international calls to Australia, Canada, China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, the UK and the US.
3. Pet Goldfish
Kimpton Hotels (United States)
Located in 30 cities around the United States, every Kimpton Hotel has a special offer if you’re traveling with kids (or if you’re still a kid at heart.) On request, Kimpton will bring a complimentary pet goldfish to your room for the length of your stay. Not to worry, overburdened parents: The Guppy Love amenity won’t add any chores or stress to your vacation as the Kimpton staff will feed your new underwater friend so you don’t have to.
4. Falconry School
Ashford Castle (Cong, Ireland)
For all of the aspiring falconers out there, a trip to Ireland’s Ashford Castle is one to add to your bucket list. The castle, which is located on 350 acres of land on Ireland’s west coast, is home to the oldest falconry school in Ireland. Take a walk with one of the school’s six birds, including Dingle, a popular European eagle-owl.
5. Pet Room Service and Spiritual Menu
Hotel Max (Seattle, WA)
At the Hotel Max, your pet is just as welcome as you are. The hotel has pet-welcoming amenities including pet beds, food and water bowls, toys and treats, and pet room service with your dog’s nutrition in mind. On top of that, you can browse the hotel’s pet spiritual menu, which includes a range of books on subjects such as dog massage and pet psychology. Finally, the hotel has a comprehensive list of pet psychics on hand in case you’re wondering when your lab mix will meet the one.
6. Private Fireworks Display
Las Ventanas al Paraiso (San Jose del Cabo, Mexico)
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, a Rosewood Resort in Mexico, offers a variety of once-in-a-lifetime experiences for its guests each season. One of the offerings during the winter 2016/2017 season was a completely customizable fireworks show. Guests could launch an on-demand fireworks show either designed by hotel staff and they could personalize from an iPad menu — including choosing the musical accompaniment. The resort’s summer experiences — from poolside movie-watching to sleeping under the stars — sound nearly as spectacular.
Have you ever stayed at a hotel with an insane amenity? Comment and let us know. at hotels around the world.
Featured image courtesy of Las Ventanas al Paraiso’s Facebook Page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.