World of Hyatt Details Its First Experiential Redemption Option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Loyalists of the Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards programs know that some of the most appealing parts of those programs are that they’re not just limited to redemptions at hotels. Members also have the option to use their points for SPG Moments or Marriott Experiences, which gives them access to special experiential events. Now, there’s a similar option for World of Hyatt members.
Today, World of Hyatt announced its first Experiences redemption — AFAR Experiences Tokyo. The experience will feature dining with innovative chefs in Tokyo, discussing art with curators and learning from local experts from the city. There are three packages available — two redemption options and one cash option — and the travel dates are from November 10-13, 2017. They package options as follows:
- Redeem 200,000 World of Hyatt points (worth $3,600 based on TPG’s most recent valuations) — If you choose to redeem 200,000 points, you’ll have access to one experience, as well as one standard room at the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills (single occupancy) for four nights.
- Redeem 300,000 World of Hyatt points (worth $5,400) — If you choose to redeem 300,000 points, you’ll have access to two experiences, as well as one standard room at the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills (double occupancy) for four nights.
- Pay $3,900 — If you choose to pay with a credit card, it’ll cost you $3,900 and airfare, transportation and accommodations are not included. If you choose to go with this option, there will be a discounted rate available to stay at the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills.
There are 75 spots available, which are only available to new or existing World of Hyatt members, meaning elite status isn’t required. You can register for the trip today on the AFAR Experiences Tokyo website. Spots are on a first-come, first-serve basis through September for the four-night, three-day trip to Tokyo. Exact information as to the experiences that’ll be there aren’t available yet, however, the site says they will be coming soon. If you’re interested, sign up sooner rather than later, as it’s not clear how long it’ll take for those spots to fill up. Also if you choose to go, ensure that you can travel on those dates, as cancellation fees are steep.
If you’re thinking of booking, your best bet would probably be to use your World of Hyatt points. During the four nights of the stay, the advance purchase rate for a standard room is ￥305,090 (~$2,750), including taxes and fees, and no award availability those days. The details of the cash rate specify that there will be a discounted rate available, so the advance purchase rate mentioned above is likely the most you’d pay for accommodations. Considering the high cash price of the experience, you’ll get the best value if you use World of Hyatt points to pay.
TPG has stayed at the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills a couple times in the past and thoroughly enjoyed it. Check out his experience in this TPGtv episode:
Keep in mind that you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to World of Hyatt at a 1:1 ratio. You can earn Ultimate Rewards points from cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, which offers a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months. Or, you could opt to sign up for the Hyatt Credit Card. The card comes with a sign-up bonus of two free nights at any Hyatt hotel or resort after you spend $2,000 in the first three months. You could potentially use those two free nights toward this experience if you opt for the cash option. And you’ll earn 3x points on Hyatt purchases, 2x points on restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly from the airline and at car rental agencies and 1x points on everything else.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees