Jimmy Kimmel Bumps Matt Damon in New United “Commercial”
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been nearly two weeks since “Bumpgate,” and United is still getting flack about it. Comedian and late-night host Jimmy Kimmel jumped into the fray when the controversy originally arose — his parody of the incident in which a United passenger was violently dragged off a plane to make room for its own employees was a hit — and continued his coverage this week by unveiling a new United “ad” with celebrity spokesman Matt Damon.
In case you didn’t know, Kimmel and Damon have had a long-running “feud” ever since Kimmel “bumped” Damon from the show back in 2005 — at the end of many shows, Kimmel will usually say something along the lines of, “I want to apologize to Matt Damon. We ran out of time.”
In the United ad sketch, Kimmel continues the beef between them by saying United might need to get rid of its new spokesperson, who, of course, is Damon.
“We’re United Airlines: We work hard to get you safely to your destination,” Damon says, acting as a voiceover spokesperson for the carrier. “And that’s why we — you know what, no, no, I can’t do this anymore. Because I know what it’s like to get bumped. Trust me, I’ve been getting bumped from Jimmy’s show for the past eight years, and it takes a toll.”
Damon then goes into how passengers feel about the airline industry, as well as how much he hates getting constantly screwed over by Kimmel.
“We’re people, damn it, and we deserve to be treated with dignity, not told night after night, ‘Oh, there’s somebody more important, so take a hike.’ No, it’s time to stand up,” he says.
We then hear something similar to the original video of the passenger being dragged off the plane, only this time it’s Damon who’s getting forcibly removed by Kimmel. Check out the video below to see the entire skit:
Featured images courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.