This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The last time you went through airport security, do you remember seeing spare change in one of those plastic bowls that someone had abandoned after emptying their pockets? Turns out, it’s a much more common occurrence than you might think.
In fact, according to a recent report by the TSA, passengers left behind more than $867,812 during the fiscal year 2016, a combination of both coins and dollar bills found in airports across the country. The amount of change left behind has been increasing steadily, too — in 2011, travelers left behind about $489,000; in 2014, almost $675,000 and in 2015, roughly $766,000. Airports where travelers are the most forgetful — or “generous” — include New York (JFK), where flyers left behind a total of $70,615 as well as Los Angeles (LAX; almost $45,000) and Dallas (DFW; more than $42,000).
So, what happens to all that money? In short, the TSA gets to keep it. In 2005, Congress passed a law saying the agency could hang onto any kind of cash left behind at its checkpoints and put it toward efforts in the realm of civil aviation security. The collected cash from the past two years has gone toward the expansion of the TSA PreCheck program, for instance, but as for this year’s sum, it remains to be seen — the agency said it doesn’t know what it plans to do just yet.
Featured image courtesy of Paul J. Richards via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards