This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The last time you went through airport security, do you remember seeing spare change in one of those plastic bowls that someone had abandoned after emptying their pockets? Turns out, it’s a much more common occurrence than you might think.
In fact, according to a recent report by the TSA, passengers left behind more than $867,812 during the fiscal year 2016, a combination of both coins and dollar bills found in airports across the country. The amount of change left behind has been increasing steadily, too — in 2011, travelers left behind about $489,000; in 2014, almost $675,000 and in 2015, roughly $766,000. Airports where travelers are the most forgetful — or “generous” — include New York (JFK), where flyers left behind a total of $70,615 as well as Los Angeles (LAX; almost $45,000) and Dallas (DFW; more than $42,000).
So, what happens to all that money? In short, the TSA gets to keep it. In 2005, Congress passed a law saying the agency could hang onto any kind of cash left behind at its checkpoints and put it toward efforts in the realm of civil aviation security. The collected cash from the past two years has gone toward the expansion of the TSA PreCheck program, for instance, but as for this year’s sum, it remains to be seen — the agency said it doesn’t know what it plans to do just yet.
Featured image courtesy of Paul J. Richards via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees