This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Brian Kelly — The Points Guy himself — was featured earlier today on CBS Sunday Morning in a segment about traveling for free on points and miles.
For those of you who saw the program and found your way here to TPG, welcome! We’re glad you’re here. If you hoping to learn the secrets of how to travel using points and miles, you’ve come to the right place. Start by checking out our Beginner’s Guide, where you’ll learn how to quickly earn travel rewards and travel in style for little to no cost.
You can also read about how Brian uses points and miles to take trips to places like the St. Regis Maldives where he stayed in an overwater bungalow, or how he flew in Singapore Suites from Los Angeles to Tokyo on a seat that turns into a full size bed, or the flight he described on CBS where he traveled in his own three cabin suite on Etihad and had his very own personal butler.
As you look around the site, you’ll find our “Deals” page with all the great airfare deals available right now to exciting international destinations, as well as all our reviews of hotels and airlines so you can know whether a particular flight or hotel is worth spending your points and miles on. Also, don’t forget our “Guides” section where you can read in-depth analysis on topics such as The 12 Best Starter Travel Rewards Cards for 2017 or The Best and Worst Airlines in the United States.
Finally, as Brian said on CBS, the first thing to do if you want to have a good miles and points strategy is to get the right credit cards. So you’ll want to check out our monthly list of the top credit cards to learn how to maximize the best sign-up offers. as well as explore our favorite cards from our partners.
And for those of you who might be new and a bit nervous about the world of credit cards, make sure you read our posts about using credit responsibly, taking care of your credit score and avoiding credit card pitfalls.
- 5 Things To Understand About Credit Before Applying For Cards
- 3 Key Considerations for Improving Your Credit Score
- Debunking Credit Card Myths: Does Applying For A Card Permanently Impact My Credit Score
- Avoiding Late Payments and Other Silly Credit Card Mistakes
To our longstanding readers, thanks as always for being here, and to our new readers, welcome aboard!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards