Chow Down Thomas Jefferson-Style at Plume, a Michelin-Starred Restaurant in DC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thomas Jefferson’s coming home! Whether you learned more about the third POTUS in your elementary school history class or via one of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s epic Hamilton-style “Cabinet Battles,” here’s something you may not know: this Founding Father was a serious foodie. In addition to his many political accomplishments, Jefferson also made a number of culinary contributions to this country — among the foods he introduced to America? Ice cream, French fries, parmesan, waffles, macaroni and cheese and Champagne. (Thanks, Tom!) To pay him back, Plume — the Michelin-starred restaurant at The Jefferson hotel in Washington, D.C. — is hosting a special birthday dinner in Jefferson’s honor, featuring a menu inspired by some of his favorite recipes.
The five-course tasting menu, available by reservation only from April 11 through April 15, will utilize Virginia-sourced ingredients to create dishes straight from Jefferson’s own recipe book. Among the delicacies diners will find, courtesy of executive chef Ralf Schlegel, are Matjes herring fillet with bull’s blood beets, green beans and soubise sauce (Jefferson first encountered herring while traveling up the Rhine into Holland); Virginia sea trout with brown butter emulsion, peas and blossoms and trout roe (it was Jefferson who brought English peas to America from Europe, then grew them at Monticello); and white asparagus with sea buckthorn hollandaise, Yukon gold potato risotto and Ossetra caviar (Jefferson was introduced to white asparagus while traveling through France, which is where Plume imports theirs from).
Meanwhile, pastry chef Fabrice Leray will be cooking up an almond milk Blancmange with brandied white peaches compote, red currant jelly, rice pudding ice cream and Blancmange (a recipe inspired by a couple of Jefferson’s own).
Celebrating what would have been Jefferson’s 274th birthday could set you back close to the same amount in dollars; the dinner itself runs $117 per person (not including tax or gratuity), $190 with a wine pairing or $260 with the upgraded French Wine Experience. You can view the full menu online. The Jefferson has our vote.
Featured image courtesy of Plume’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees