This Might Be the Perfect Seat for Sleeping In-Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Do you count yourself among the many travelers who have trouble sleeping on flights? A company called Simba Sleep has unveiled what it’s calling “the world’s most advanced airline seat,” and it truly does look like a game-changer in the market.
Real Madrid footballer Gareth Bale introduced the Air Hybrid in the promotional photos and video. He’s 6’0″, by the way, and it seems he still has plenty of room to stretch out. He’s also an investor in the product. Enjoying a first or business-class seat can be a wonderful experience, but the worst thing about it can be its narrow confines when you’re trying to sleep. A narrow width between the armrests or a wedge-like foot rest area can make the seat feel downright restrictive.
Simba Sleep hasn’t only designed a nice airplane bed with a comfy mattress; it also has designed a seat that makes automatic adjustments during your flight, thanks to a six-axis accelerometer and a gyroscope. It is made to simulate a “zero-g” position. This position closely simulates weightlessness, which eases pressure on the back and spine while dissolving strain from the extremities. Blood can then move freely through the body, improving circulation. The unit also measures noise, temperature, light and humidity, and it can pump our aromatherapy-type scents.
Simba Sleep actually got its start as a mattress company in 1979, so it stands in contrast to airlines and aerospace seating companies that have brought on a bedding company as a developmental partner. For example, Delta has partnered with Westin to sell the same blanket offered to first-class passengers in-flight, and United’s partnered with Saks Fifth Avenue to offer exclusive bedding in its new Polaris cabin.
Simba has named its concept the Air-Hybrid. The company’s memory foam mattress has garnered extremely positive review scores, averaging 9.6/10 in over 700 reviews on trustpilot.com. It contains five layers and up to 2,500 patented conical coils.
You’ve gotta love the name too, am I right? It makes me picture Rafiki — the Baboon from the Lion King — holding the precious gift of restful sleep during a red-eye flight, and offering it up to the heavens to appease the spirits of Orville and Wilbur Wright. All of the travelers nod and coo in approval. I can easily see this becoming a very nice first-class product on an upscale carrier, such as Singapore Airlines.
It’s curious to note that the bedding company had no presence at the annual Aircraft Interior Expo last week, where this design surely would have received a ton of attention and interest from potential airline customers. Simba Sleep is currently in talks with various private and commercial airlines that are interested in implementing the seat.
Images and video courtesy of Simba Sleep.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.