This Might Be the Perfect Seat for Sleeping In-Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Do you count yourself among the many travelers who have trouble sleeping on flights? A company called Simba Sleep has unveiled what it’s calling “the world’s most advanced airline seat,” and it truly does look like a game-changer in the market.
Real Madrid footballer Gareth Bale introduced the Air Hybrid in the promotional photos and video. He’s 6’0″, by the way, and it seems he still has plenty of room to stretch out. He’s also an investor in the product. Enjoying a first or business-class seat can be a wonderful experience, but the worst thing about it can be its narrow confines when you’re trying to sleep. A narrow width between the armrests or a wedge-like foot rest area can make the seat feel downright restrictive.
Simba Sleep hasn’t only designed a nice airplane bed with a comfy mattress; it also has designed a seat that makes automatic adjustments during your flight, thanks to a six-axis accelerometer and a gyroscope. It is made to simulate a “zero-g” position. This position closely simulates weightlessness, which eases pressure on the back and spine while dissolving strain from the extremities. Blood can then move freely through the body, improving circulation. The unit also measures noise, temperature, light and humidity, and it can pump our aromatherapy-type scents.
Simba Sleep actually got its start as a mattress company in 1979, so it stands in contrast to airlines and aerospace seating companies that have brought on a bedding company as a developmental partner. For example, Delta has partnered with Westin to sell the same blanket offered to first-class passengers in-flight, and United’s partnered with Saks Fifth Avenue to offer exclusive bedding in its new Polaris cabin.
Simba has named its concept the Air-Hybrid. The company’s memory foam mattress has garnered extremely positive review scores, averaging 9.6/10 in over 700 reviews on trustpilot.com. It contains five layers and up to 2,500 patented conical coils.
You’ve gotta love the name too, am I right? It makes me picture Rafiki — the Baboon from the Lion King — holding the precious gift of restful sleep during a red-eye flight, and offering it up to the heavens to appease the spirits of Orville and Wilbur Wright. All of the travelers nod and coo in approval. I can easily see this becoming a very nice first-class product on an upscale carrier, such as Singapore Airlines.
It’s curious to note that the bedding company had no presence at the annual Aircraft Interior Expo last week, where this design surely would have received a ton of attention and interest from potential airline customers. Simba Sleep is currently in talks with various private and commercial airlines that are interested in implementing the seat.
Images and video courtesy of Simba Sleep.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees