Stay at World’s Best Hotel, Big United Changes, a Top New Card and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
Nihiwatu was rated the world’s top hotel by Travel + Leisure, so TPG decided to do a full review and see whether or not it lives up to the hype.
Although it’s been more than two weeks since the #Bumpgate incident involving Dr. David Dao on United Airlines Flight 3411, few details outside of the original video have been released. However, the officer who was seen in the video dragging Dao down the aisle, James Long, has now shared his point of view of the incident — find out what he has to say about what happened on that infamous flight.
The U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Card launches on Monday (May 1). Find out all you need to know about the hot new card before you apply.
This fall, credit bureaus Experian, TransUnion and Equifax will be rolling out changes to their scoring system called VantageScore. The new model will place a higher emphasis on trends in someone’s credit history, like timely payments or how much debt they hold.
After several years of maintaining Executive Platinum status with American Airlines, TPG has decided that he’s de-prioritizing chasing Exec Plat in 2017 for a number of reasons — find out why he’s not all that concerned about chasing AA’s highest status level this year.
This week, United unveiled several policy changes meant to reaffirm it’s commitment to providing better customer service and to ensure that a similar incident doesn’t happen again in the future.
We all know someone who is obsessed with checking their Uber rating constantly, but it used to be sort of a complicated process. Now, however, the app is making it a whole lot easier for you to know your score at all times.
In other news…
Etihad’s Now Allowing Customers to Purchase Miles
You can now purchase Etihad Guest miles at a cost of two cents per mile. If you want to purchase Guest miles, you can buy them in increments of 1,000, with a maximum of 60,000 miles.
Alaska and Virgin America are Moving to Terminal 7 at JFK
Last week, Alaska and Virgin America shared that they’ll be moving terminals at LAX, and now they’ve shared that they’re making a move at JFK as well, to be completed by October 2017. The combined airline will make its home at Terminal 7. Currently, Alaska operates from Terminal 8 and Virgin from Terminal 4.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees