Stay at World’s Best Hotel, Big United Changes, a Top New Card and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
Nihiwatu was rated the world’s top hotel by Travel + Leisure, so TPG decided to do a full review and see whether or not it lives up to the hype.
Although it’s been more than two weeks since the #Bumpgate incident involving Dr. David Dao on United Airlines Flight 3411, few details outside of the original video have been released. However, the officer who was seen in the video dragging Dao down the aisle, James Long, has now shared his point of view of the incident — find out what he has to say about what happened on that infamous flight.
The U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Card launches on Monday (May 1). Find out all you need to know about the hot new card before you apply.
This fall, credit bureaus Experian, TransUnion and Equifax will be rolling out changes to their scoring system called VantageScore. The new model will place a higher emphasis on trends in someone’s credit history, like timely payments or how much debt they hold.
After several years of maintaining Executive Platinum status with American Airlines, TPG has decided that he’s de-prioritizing chasing Exec Plat in 2017 for a number of reasons — find out why he’s not all that concerned about chasing AA’s highest status level this year.
This week, United unveiled several policy changes meant to reaffirm it’s commitment to providing better customer service and to ensure that a similar incident doesn’t happen again in the future.
We all know someone who is obsessed with checking their Uber rating constantly, but it used to be sort of a complicated process. Now, however, the app is making it a whole lot easier for you to know your score at all times.
In other news…
Etihad’s Now Allowing Customers to Purchase Miles
You can now purchase Etihad Guest miles at a cost of two cents per mile. If you want to purchase Guest miles, you can buy them in increments of 1,000, with a maximum of 60,000 miles.
Alaska and Virgin America are Moving to Terminal 7 at JFK
Last week, Alaska and Virgin America shared that they’ll be moving terminals at LAX, and now they’ve shared that they’re making a move at JFK as well, to be completed by October 2017. The combined airline will make its home at Terminal 7. Currently, Alaska operates from Terminal 8 and Virgin from Terminal 4.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.