Setting the Record Straight on #Bumpgate, A Tale of Two Resorts in the Maldives, the End of a Great Award and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
The shocking video of a passenger being violently dragged off a United Airlines flight this week has resulted in a media firestorm. When we first reported on the story, not all the details were available, and as the dust settled new facts emerged that shifted the perspective on the story. Read TPG’s thoughts here.
TPG recently had the chance to stay at both the Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa and the St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort. See which one comes out on top in a head-to-head matchup.
Some disappointing news this week from the Etihad Guest program — you’re no longer able to book a round-trip business-class ticket on Brussels Airlines for 36,620 miles. The award will now run you 88,000 miles round-trip.
Competition in the premium travel rewards card segment has gotten a lot more intense lately. Issuers are now adding benefits at a rapid clip in hopes of besting their peers. It’s time to see how the top cards in the business stack up against one another.
How does 11-across in coach sound to you? Airbus showed off a model A380 that sports a 3-5-3 configuration in economy as well as narrower aisles.
You can often get great value from your Ultimate Rewards points when you transfer them to Flying Blue, the loyalty program of Air France and KLM. Here’s how to do it so you can get maximum value.
Check out one of the coolest innovations from the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg, Germany — the Slip Slide Seat. This innovative seat design could help airlines board aircraft much faster.
In other news…
Earn 50,000 Bonus AAdvantage Miles With DirecTV
Here’s an interesting offer — DirecTV and American Airlines are offering a significant 50,000 bonus miles if you are a new customer and sign up for a 24-month agreement for the provider’s ‘select’ plans, or higher.
You’ll Soon Earn Fewer AAdvantage Miles on Qantas Flights — and Vice Versa
As of May 1, 2017, American Airlines and Qantas are cutting the rates at which you earn miles on each other’s flights.
Cathay Pacific Introducing Dine-on-Demand for Business-Class Passengers on Select Routes
Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific is testing ways to improve the business-class experience it provides. It’s going to introduce a dine-on-demand concept in the business-class cabin on its flights between Hong Kong (HKG) and London (LGW) from May 1 – 31, 2017 and again on flights between HKG and Chicago (ORD) from June 1 – 30, 2017.
Featured image of the St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.