#LeggingsGate Special Report, Uber’s Ditching Another Country, New Routes for March and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
Following last weekend’s viral #LeggingsGate story, we wanted to put together a comprehensive guide to each major airline’s policies pertaining to dress codes for non-revenue passengers. Read up on the rules here.
The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 75,000 points after you spend $3,000 within the first three months of account opening.
Earlier this week, Uber shared that it’d cease operations in Denmark as of April 18. The move comes after the rideshare company has faced lawsuits and has left certain markets because of its controversial operating practices.
Check out the most exciting routes that airlines announced or launched in March.
On Thursday, the changes to the Platinum Card from American Express went into effect, one of them being an all-new metal design. Amex is allowing some cardholders to request metal replacement cards online, and the whole process takes only a few minutes.
In other news…
You Can Now Redeem Ultimate Rewards Points for Airbnb and Uber Gift Cards
Chase is now allowing those with Ultimate Rewards-earning cards to redeem points for Airbnb and Uber gift cards — but it’s not the best use of your points.
South African Airways is Losing a Ton of Money
South African Airways has never been known for its outstanding financial performance, but its losses are truly staggering. The airline’s board reported to South Africa’s Standing Committee on Finance that it lost R4.5 billion (more than $335,000,000) in 2016/2017.
Virgin Australia Will Use Gogo In-Flight Wi-Fi for its Domestic and International Aircraft
Virgin Australia chose to use Gogo to provide in-flight Wi-Fi on its domestic and international aircraft. The airline will begin testing the provider’s 2Ku technology this month on a Boeing 737-800.
Register to Earn Double Points on All Qantas Flights for a Limited Time
Qantas is offering a limited-time promotion through which you can earn double points on all flights. You must register for the promotion, book flights by 11:59pm (Australian Standard Time) on April 3, 2017 and travel between April 15 and February 28, 2018.
Featured image of Athens, Greece courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.