Buckingham Palace Will Show Off Queen Elizabeth II’s Collection of Gifts to Visitors This Summer
You may never get the chance to walk in Queen Elizabeth II’s shoes — or to walk any one of her many Corgis — but you can get an up-close look at her Tongan baskets. In the (record) 65 years that Her Majesty has sat on England’s throne, she has amassed an impressive — and eclectic — collection of gifts from fellow world leaders like Nelson Mandela and Dwight Eisenhower. This summer, visitors to London will get a chance to see just what you could possibly give to the woman who has everything.
From July 22 through October 1, royal watchers and aspiring monarchs can pop into the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace to get an up-close look at more than 250 pieces in the Queen’s vast library of gifts, which hail from more than 100 countries and territories. According to the Royal Collection Trust, “The exhibition will explore Her Majesty’s role as Head of State, Head of the Commonwealth and Head of Nation, and includes gifts given during State Visits, overseas tours and official engagements and those presented to mark significant moments in The Queen’s life.”
From a bag of salt that was sent to the Queen for her 90th birthday from the people of Salt Island (part of the British Virgin Islands) to an intricately beaded throne, which was crafted by Nigeria’s Yoruba people and presented to Her Majesty in 1956, the exhibition features pieces that are both unexpected and tell story of the gifting people’s history and culture. You can check out photos of some of the items on display below — just promise us you won’t break anything…
Mind the gap! In 2010, the team at the Aldgate East Tube Station presented the Queen with her very own London Underground sign.
This hand-beaten silver bowl — complete with silver fruit — was presented to the Queen by President Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia in 1991.
The Queen received this ‘Vessel of Friendship’ from China in 2015.
These baskets were woven from coconut leaves from Tonga and presented to Queen Elizabeth II.
This beaded Yoruba throne was presented to Queen Elizabeth II by the people of Nigeria in 1956.
Will you be planning a visit to see the royal collection?
H/T: The Guardian
Featured image courtesy of WPA Pool via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees