Hate Small Talk? Try Kyoto’s New Silent Taxi Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“How was your flight?” “Where are you coming from?” Anyone who has ever hitched a ride to or from the airport in a taxi or other car service has likely endured a barrage of questions like these. And while they’re meant to be pleasantries in the truest sense of the word, some people (okay, many people) would sometimes rather ride along in silence. Miyako Taxi, a cab company that operates mainly in Kyoto, Japan, has come up with a brilliantly simple solution: a fleet of designated “Silence Taxis,” where the only question riders will be asked is where they’re headed.
As RocketNews24 reports, these quiet cars — which are still in a testing phase — have a notice posted to the back of the passenger seat that lets passengers know they’re riding in a small talk-free car, where “Hello,” “Goodbye,” and “Where are you going?” are about the only things you’ll hear from the front seat, unless there’s some sort of emergency or urgent situation that needs to be addressed. Of course, if you want to chit-chat with your driver, all you need to do is start the conversation, as they’re just not allowed to initiate it.
While we’re hoping that the pilot program is successful enough for other cities to take notice and follow suit, for now, our lips are sealed.
Featured image courtesy of In Pictures Ltd./Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.