You Have to See This Super-Thin Airline Seat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each year in Hamburg, Germany, the Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) serves as a showcase for manufacturers and designers’ latest and greatest ideas. While walking through the sprawling convention, I stumbled upon something quite eye-catching, and perhaps a little bit troubling.
Check out this concept design by Mirus Aircraft Seating. I didn’t even mean to find it. I just happened to be walking through a part of the convention away from the big-name seat manufacturers like Recaro and Zodiac, when this crazy-thin seat caught my eye. “No way,” I said to myself.
Look how thin it is. Can you imagine this seat being comfortable for even an hour? It reminds me of those aluminum bleachers I used to sit on during high school football games. Heaven forbid an airline choose to install these on a wide-body aircraft, where we may be confined for up to 17 hours.
Carriers would love something like this because the thin design could let them install extra rows of seats. The carbon fiber frame makes it both lightweight and extra sturdy, weighing only 8.38 pounds per passenger.
Did you know that all newly designed aircraft seats must be certified as 16G-compliant? That means they have to be strong enough for a passenger to survive an impact up to 16 times the force of gravity.
I’m pretty sure these carbon fiber-framed seats would do that, but you may have noticed there’s not even a tray table on the back of these seats. Mirus says these seats were designed on a dare, though it’s not known from whom this sadistic dare came. Vision 2030 is meant to serve an an eye-catching “look what we can do” concept, and it certainly does catch the eye.
Although it’s not a household name in aircraft seating, Mirus isn’t completely new. Last year at AIX, it debuted the Hawk seat model, which is now installed on Air Asia X aircraft. Mirus is based in Norfolk, UK. Speaking of the UK, I think this could be a seat that we could potentially see on Dublin-based Ryanair, who is known for being a bargain basement, zero-frills carrier.
Perhaps this is the next evolution of what some airlines — even US-based ones — are calling Basic Economy? American, Delta and United are all offering some degree of this fare, while Spirit and Allegiant make the original no-frills airline Southwest look luxurious.
Carbon fiber is a good thing for airlines, with its light weight and heavy strength. Boeing and Airbus have both built planes — the 787 and A350, respectively — where the fuselage and other parts are made from carbon fiber reinforced polymer. But if airlines expect to rake in the ancillary revenue via buy-on-board meals and refreshments, passengers are going to require a tray table on which to partake of their goodies.
Would you even consider flying in a seat like this?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees