Malaysia Airlines to Be the First to Introduce Satellite Tracking
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In March 2014, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished without a trace of the aircraft or any of the 239 people on board. And now, more than three years later, the carrier is the first to sign up for new technology that’ll allow it to track and analyze its entire fleet of aircraft via satellite.
The new satellite service, which will allow Malaysia Airlines to monitor its aircraft all around the globe, including their speed, altitude, location and heading, will be provided by the US-based Aireon, FlightAware and SITAONAIR. The new technology can track of its aircraft in locations where there is currently no coverage, such as over polar, oceanic and other remote regions. In addition, controllers will be alerted more quickly if a plane diverts from its flight path. Malaysia Airlines is expecting to begin implementing the technology sometime next year.
As you may remember, MH370 disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Since its disappearance, debris from the plane was found on Reunion Island, off the coast of Madagascar, however, the main wreckage was never found and the search was called off earlier this year. It’s not clear if the satellite technology would have made a difference in solving the mysterious disappearance of MH370, but it’s a step by the carrier to address the issue and, perhaps, begin to win back the trust of travelers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees