This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In March 2014, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished without a trace of the aircraft or any of the 239 people on board. And now, more than three years later, the carrier is the first to sign up for new technology that’ll allow it to track and analyze its entire fleet of aircraft via satellite.
The new satellite service, which will allow Malaysia Airlines to monitor its aircraft all around the globe, including their speed, altitude, location and heading, will be provided by the US-based Aireon, FlightAware and SITAONAIR. The new technology can track of its aircraft in locations where there is currently no coverage, such as over polar, oceanic and other remote regions. In addition, controllers will be alerted more quickly if a plane diverts from its flight path. Malaysia Airlines is expecting to begin implementing the technology sometime next year.
As you may remember, MH370 disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Since its disappearance, debris from the plane was found on Reunion Island, off the coast of Madagascar, however, the main wreckage was never found and the search was called off earlier this year. It’s not clear if the satellite technology would have made a difference in solving the mysterious disappearance of MH370, but it’s a step by the carrier to address the issue and, perhaps, begin to win back the trust of travelers.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that