Malaysia Airlines to Be the First to Introduce Satellite Tracking
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In March 2014, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished without a trace of the aircraft or any of the 239 people on board. And now, more than three years later, the carrier is the first to sign up for new technology that’ll allow it to track and analyze its entire fleet of aircraft via satellite.
The new satellite service, which will allow Malaysia Airlines to monitor its aircraft all around the globe, including their speed, altitude, location and heading, will be provided by the US-based Aireon, FlightAware and SITAONAIR. The new technology can track of its aircraft in locations where there is currently no coverage, such as over polar, oceanic and other remote regions. In addition, controllers will be alerted more quickly if a plane diverts from its flight path. Malaysia Airlines is expecting to begin implementing the technology sometime next year.
As you may remember, MH370 disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Since its disappearance, debris from the plane was found on Reunion Island, off the coast of Madagascar, however, the main wreckage was never found and the search was called off earlier this year. It’s not clear if the satellite technology would have made a difference in solving the mysterious disappearance of MH370, but it’s a step by the carrier to address the issue and, perhaps, begin to win back the trust of travelers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.