This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In March 2014, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished without a trace of the aircraft or any of the 239 people on board. And now, more than three years later, the carrier is the first to sign up for new technology that’ll allow it to track and analyze its entire fleet of aircraft via satellite.
The new satellite service, which will allow Malaysia Airlines to monitor its aircraft all around the globe, including their speed, altitude, location and heading, will be provided by the US-based Aireon, FlightAware and SITAONAIR. The new technology can track of its aircraft in locations where there is currently no coverage, such as over polar, oceanic and other remote regions. In addition, controllers will be alerted more quickly if a plane diverts from its flight path. Malaysia Airlines is expecting to begin implementing the technology sometime next year.
As you may remember, MH370 disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Since its disappearance, debris from the plane was found on Reunion Island, off the coast of Madagascar, however, the main wreckage was never found and the search was called off earlier this year. It’s not clear if the satellite technology would have made a difference in solving the mysterious disappearance of MH370, but it’s a step by the carrier to address the issue and, perhaps, begin to win back the trust of travelers.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees