This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This time of year always seems to bring a lot of one-off hotel promotions, and 2017 isn’t different. This week, IHG released a new targeted “spring offer,” giving members the chance to earn up to 35,000 bonus points for stays between April 16 and May 15.
There are 10 different offers, but it seems you’re only going to be targeted for — and can only register for — one of them. To see which offer you got, log in to your IHG account and see your member offers here:
IHG Rewards Club cardholders can earn between 8,000 and 35,000 points:
- 8,000 points for staying two nights and for paying for those nights with your IHG Rewards Club Credit Card, OR
- 11,000 points for staying four nights, using your IHG credit card, OR
- 17,000 points for staying seven nights, using your IHG credit card, OR
- 23,000 points for staying 10 nights, using your IHG credit card, OR
- 35,000 points for staying 15 nights. using your IHG credit card
Non-cardholders get the same base offer, but without the credit card bonus:
- 3,000 points for staying two nights, OR
- 6,000 points for staying four nights, OR
- 12,000 points for staying seven nights, OR
- 18,000 points for staying 10 nights, OR
- 30,000 points for staying 15 nights
Based on the terms and conditions, it seems that — if you’re a IHG Rewards Club credit card cardholder — you’ll only get credit for nights if you put the stay on your card. While the IHG credit card earns 5x points on IHG purchases, this is only a 3.5 cents per dollar return on your spend, based on TPG’s latest valuations. Meanwhile, you could get a 6.3 cents per dollar return by putting the same stays on a Chase Sapphire Reserve (earning 3x Ultimate Rewards points).
The way this promotion is set up, you might actually be happy to get one of the smaller targeted offers. If you’re targeted for the two-night promotion and pay with your IHG card, the 8,000 bonus points you’ll get net you $56 of value ($28 per night). If you’re targeted for the 15-night offer, you’re going to have to live half of the month in IHG hotels for 35,000 bonus points — for only $245 of value (~$16 per night). On the upside, those 35,000 points are enough points for seven free nights at a PointBreaks hotel.
The revised Platinum Card from American Express now offers an alluring 5x Membership Rewards points per dollar booking prepaid hotels through Amex Travel. However, for this and other IHG promotions, note that you must book directly through IHG for the stay to get IHG stay credit and elite benefits.
This promotion begins for stays on or after April 16. If you’re planning some last-minute stays between now and then, check your progress on your Q1 Accelerate promotion. All stays for the current Accelerate promotion need to be completed by April 15.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Featured image courtesy of the InterContinental Sydney.
This card comes with a 60,000 point bonus which can be worth $420 when you redeem your points for a stay at IHG participating properties. Each year you'll receive a free night that can be used at over 5,000 properties worldwide and you'll get an automatic 10% points rebate on redemptions.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at over 5,000 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Platinum Elite status as long as you're a Select credit cardmember
- Automatic 10% points rebate on redemptions
- $0 Introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $49 a year