Finding Saver Awards With American AAdvantage Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A few months ago I shared that I thought American Airlines AAdvantage miles had overall become worse than Delta SkyMiles, which is to say they had fallen to the bottom spot of the major US based airline loyalty programs. My dissatisfaction with American AAdvantage was based largely on the reality that saver awards, even just for pretty ordinary domestic hops, were simply not available…or were very, very barely available, and then only on non-logical itineraries where it took three flights at odd hours just to fly a thousand or so miles.
This reality hasn’t changed too much since I wrote that post (heck, View From the Wing just highlighted the same phenomenon out of Austin), but yet in recent weeks I have successfully used my AAdvantage miles at the saver level multiple times. Not only have I used them, but I have used them on awards that I expected to be pretty difficult to nab. The secret? Well other than luck, my success has come from booking as soon as the schedule opens roughly eleven months in advance.
This is hardly a new “secret” in the miles and points world of course, but I’m having much better than average luck getting things well timed flights into Vail during a peak winter ski weekend, flights to Grand Cayman on a peak Spring Break travel date, and while I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on booking a trip to St. Kitts, there were plenty of well-timed flights to pick from on winter weekends.
All of these were available from Houston with connections in American hub cities at the saver award level. This meant not only did the Houston – Dallas/Miami/Charlotte/Phoenix flight have to be available at the saver level, but also the one from the hub city to our final destination.
Sure, they were economy seats, but who cares for a few hours of flying?!
It is also worth highlighting that none of these are solo trips, and they were all for anywhere from two to four people. That small but important detail is actually huge because finding one award seat can be simple enough, but four can be a whole other situation. I was seriously floored when I found four saver award seats using AAdvantage miles to Grand Cayman for Spring Break to pair with our SPG award reservation at the Westin! I still need to find the return flights, but I’ve got a couple of ideas for that.
All of these redemptions are for flights that otherwise would be pretty expensive on dollars since they are to peak destinations at peak times, largely on school holidays.
I’ve now had a good enough run of success with AAdvantage that I wouldn’t mind racking up a few more American miles if the opportunity presented itself. I know they certainly aren’t going to get me everywhere we want to be at the saver level, but it I start looking far enough in with at least a little bit of flexibility they seem to be doing okay for us in recent weeks.
Have you adjusted your strategy with AAdvantage miles at all to eek out some saver award success stories?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees