Deal Alert: Northeast Cities to Athens From $538 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
A few days ago we posted a deal for two people from New York to Athens for just $975 total. But if you’d like to visit the capital of Greece and don’t have a travel companion, now you can get there for just a few dollars more. OneWorld partners American, British Airways and Iberia are currently offering flights to Athens (ATH) from New York (NYC) and Philadelphia (PHL) starting at just $538 round-trip.
Flights are available departing on many Tuesdays and Wednesdays between late August 2017 and February 2018 except for the December holiday season. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection, but if you’re willing to make an airport change in London between Heathrow and Gatwick or do an overnight in Madrid (MAD), you can actually get the price down a few more dollars to as low as $525. Also, since these are international trips on a full service carrier, you’ll get your first checked bag free and even a complimentary meal during the flight.
Airline: One World partners (Iberia, British Airways, American)
Routes: NYC/PHL to ATH
Cost: $538+ round-trip in economy
Dates: Late August 2017-February 2018 (except the holidays)
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Athens (ATH) nonstop in October for $538 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in September for $540 round-trip via AA:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in November for $550 round-trip via Orbitz:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Athens (ATH) in August for $551 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in December for $527 round-trip via AA:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in February for $525 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image courtesy of www.tonnaja.com/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees