Deal Alert: Northeast Cities to Athens From $538 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
A few days ago we posted a deal for two people from New York to Athens for just $975 total. But if you’d like to visit the capital of Greece and don’t have a travel companion, now you can get there for just a few dollars more. OneWorld partners American, British Airways and Iberia are currently offering flights to Athens (ATH) from New York (NYC) and Philadelphia (PHL) starting at just $538 round-trip.
Flights are available departing on many Tuesdays and Wednesdays between late August 2017 and February 2018 except for the December holiday season. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection, but if you’re willing to make an airport change in London between Heathrow and Gatwick or do an overnight in Madrid (MAD), you can actually get the price down a few more dollars to as low as $525. Also, since these are international trips on a full service carrier, you’ll get your first checked bag free and even a complimentary meal during the flight.
Airline: One World partners (Iberia, British Airways, American)
Routes: NYC/PHL to ATH
Cost: $538+ round-trip in economy
Dates: Late August 2017-February 2018 (except the holidays)
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Athens (ATH) nonstop in October for $538 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in September for $540 round-trip via AA:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in November for $550 round-trip via Orbitz:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Athens (ATH) in August for $551 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in December for $527 round-trip via AA:
New York/JFK (JFK) to Athens (ATH) in February for $525 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image courtesy of www.tonnaja.com/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.